• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

18 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Interesting take, never thought of it that tourists supporting the village shops would be imposing. 

Do other people feel like they should self-segregate to the tourist areas?  Does it depend on how big the village is? 

What tourist areas?  The island and village are REALLY small. Other than the 2 hotels and small village, there is literally nothing else.  There is no central power station on the island.  The hotel is mostly self sufficient with solar power and diesel generators and I gather the village is the same way.  Many dive hotels in the area don't have hot water or power at night.  Many don't have ensuite bathrooms but it's more like camping with a common bathroom that you need a flashlight for at night.  I don't think there are any shops, other than maybe one or two selling household goods for the people that live there.  I think less than 50 people live in that village.  As far as I'm aware, there are no restaurants.   I think there's a small school as there are a handful of children who live there.  I would never even have known about it but one of the hotel workers I was talking to said that she lived there and if we were REALLY interested, she could take us there to show us around but she made it seem like there wasn't really anything to see.  If I were feeling better we may have been inclined to take her up on her offer one afternoon just to check it out (and then we'd be the tourist attraction! Many of the younger residents have never seen white people before in real life so I'm sure we'd be fascinating for them and they'd all want to have their picture taken with us).

KennethT

KennethT

9 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Interesting take, never thought of it that tourists supporting the village shops would be imposing. 

Do other people feel like they should self-segregate to the tourist areas?  Does it depend on how big the village is? 

This village is REALLY small.  I don't think there are any shops, other than maybe one or two selling household goods for the people that live there.  I think less than 50 people live in that village.  As far as I'm aware, there are no restaurants.   I think there's a small school as there are a handful of children who live there.  I would never even have known about it but one of the hotel workers I was talking to said that she lived there and if we were REALLY interested, she could take us there to show us around but she made it seem like there wasn't really anything to see.  If I were feeling better we may have been inclined to take her up on her offer one afternoon just to check it out (and then we'd be the tourist attraction!).