• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add more crap

Given the long lead times, I think it's unrealistic to expect international celebrity products like cookbooks, television programming and magazine features to react swiftly to volatile economic conditions.  That means there's a risk of things falling flat, as anyone who published entertaining cookbooks, restaurant guides or destination wedding planners in early 2020.  

Depending on their audiences, I might expect celebrity chefs who regularly publish newspaper columns or have their own online presence with blogs, Instagram, etc. to be a bit more reactive. 

That does require understanding who their audiences are and what's relevant to them.  That Daily Mail Jamie Oliver-bashing article that I linked to mentioned that Oliver was also roasted as out of touch for a recent series on £1 dishes.  I'm not sure exactly what  the issue was.  Maybe the dishes were priced out at £1 at the time of filming but no longer doable at that price by the time it aired. Or maybe it's just a haters gonna hate thing.

Edited to add that I followed the link to read the £1 Wonders gripes (the DM article is here) and there are a number of concerns but it seems like many people felt they were being preached to about frugality by a guy worth £240 million so I guess we should ask whether it's even believable when celebrity chefs attempt to enter that space. 

Maybe this is a DM thing but it made me laugh that both of these Jamie Oliver TV show bashing articles ended up with a bunch of recipes from the just-trashed programs.  As @gfweb suggested over in the other thread, maybe that negativity is just clickbait.

Back to your questions. Would I engage with shows promoting budget meals?  I don't watch much food TV, but if I heard good buzz, I might take a look.  Budget-stretching strategies for large families?  Probably not for me.   I'm concerned about food waste and energy efficiency so if there were entertaining programs framed in that way, I would definitely check it out. As @heidih and @liuzhou have said, the TV stuff is largely entertainment.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add more crap

Given the long lead times, I think it's unrealistic to expect international celebrity products like cookbooks, television programming and magazine features to react swiftly to volatile economic conditions.  That means there's a risk of things falling flat, as anyone who published entertaining cookbooks, restaurant guides or destination wedding planners in early 2020.  

Depending on their audiences, I might expect celebrity chefs who regularly publish newspaper columns or have their own online presence with blogs, Instagram, etc. to be a bit more reactive. 

That does require understanding who their audiences are and what's relevant to them.  That Daily Mail Jamie Oliver-bashing article that I linked to mentioned that Oliver was also roasted as out of touch for a recent series on £1 dishes.  I'm not sure exactly what  the issue was.  Maybe the dishes were priced out at £1 at the time of filming but no longer doable at that price by the time it aired. Or maybe it's just a haters gonna hate thing.

Edited to add that I followed the link to read the £1 Wonders gripes (the DM article is here) and it there are a number of concerns but it seems like many people felt they were being preached to about frugality by a guy worth £240 million so I guess we should ask whether it's even believable when celebrity chefs attempt to enter that space. 

Maybe this is a DM thing but it made me laugh that both of these Jamie Oliver TV show bashing articles ended up with a bunch of recipes from the just-trashed programs.  As @gfweb suggested over in the other thread, maybe that negativity is just clickbait.

Back to your questions. Would I engage with shows promoting budget meals?  I don't watch much food TV, but if I heard good buzz, I might take a look.  Budget-stretching strategies for large families?  Probably not for me.   I'm concerned about food waste and energy efficiency so if there were entertaining programs framed in that way, I would definitely check it out. As @heidih and @liuzhou have said, the TV stuff is largely entertainment.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

punctuation

Would I engage with shows promoting budget meals?  I don't watch much food TV, but if I heard good buzz, I might take a look.  Budget-stretching strategies for large families?  Probably not for me.   I'm concerned about food waste and energy efficiency so if there were entertaining programs framed in that way, I would definitely check it out. As @heidih and @liuzhou have said, the TV stuff is largely entertainment

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

That does require understanding who their audiences are and what's relevant to them.  That Daily Mail Jamie Oliver-bashing article that I linked to mentioned that Oliver was also roasted as out of touch for a recent series on 1 £ dishes.  I'm not sure exactly what  the issue was.  Maybe the dishes were priced out at 1 £ at the time of filming but no longer doable at that price by the time it aired. Or maybe it's just a haters gonna hate thing.

Would I engage with shows promoting budget meals?  I don't watch much food TV, but if I heard good buzz, I might take a look.  Budget-stretching strategies for large families?  Probably not for me.   I'm concerned about food waste and energy efficiency so if there were entertaining programs framed in that way, I would definitely check it out. As @heidih and @liuzhou have said, the TV stuff is largely entertainment