• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Background: I purchased a lovely 100 year old brick home about 18 months ago and have completed a number of intensive renovations (electric rewire, tuckpointing, garage roof, foundation waterproofing, tree removal). Given the amount of work undertaken on the house, cooking has not been the highest priority. The kitchen is tiny (only 4 feet of uninterrupted countertop), but I've whipped up some nice meals using the 5 year old GE Profile 5 burner gas range. So, about 6 months ago, the stove threw an error message that self resolved. No big deal, I thought.

Current: Cooking up a huge batch of polenta this morning, the stove has thrown another error. Flipped the breaker and nothing happened, but I was still using the stove. Will try again once the stove cools down...but I suspect I'm going to be replacing the stove in the not so distant future (these stoves are known for failing control panels).

Initially, my long term goal was to expand the kitchen (cantilevered bumpout and knocking down a wall between the kitchen and breakfast nook) and at that point, buy a 36" Bluestar Platinum. However, given the amount of unexpected work I've had to tackle, I'm not sure I want to dump another $50k or $75k into this house, since it's just little old me (and I'm not sure this is my forever home). Although I would kill for more usable counterspace.

So, if I have to replace the range, I could easily slide in a Bluestar 30" and probably be happy UNTIL I kick myself once I start the potential kitchen reno. OR, I could buy the 36" now and steal 6 inches from a end counter/cabinet set (which is 12 inches of mostly dead space now). But that certainly increases the cost of the current 'oops'. Or, I could buy the 30" now, and then if the kitchen reno comes along, sell it and use the proceeds towards the new range.

Anyone face this before? Thoughts?

Thanks

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Background: I purchased a lovely 100 year old brick home about 18 months ago and have completed a number of intensive renovations (electric rewire, tuckpointing, garage roof, foundation waterproofing, tree removal). Given the amount of work undertaken on the house, cooking has not been the highest priority. The kitchen is tiny (only 4 feet of uninterrupted countertop), but I've whipped up some nice meals using the 5 year old GE Profile 5 burner gas range. So, about 6 months ago, the stove threw an error message that self resolved. No big deal, I thought.

Current: Cooking up a huge batch of polenta this morning, the stove has thrown another error. Flipped the breaker and nothing happened, but I was still using the stove. Will try again once the stove cools down...but I suspect I'm going to be replacing the stove in the not so distant future.

Initially, my long term goal was to expand the kitchen (cantilevered bumpout and knocking down a wall between the kitchen and breakfast nook) and at that point, buy a 36" Bluestar Platinum. However, given the amount of unexpected work I've had to tackle, I'm not sure I want to dump another $50k or $75k into this house, since it's just little old me (and I'm not sure this is my forever home). Although I would kill for more usable counterspace.

So, if I have to replace the range, I could easily slide in a Bluestar 30" and probably be happy UNTIL I kick myself once I start the potential kitchen reno. OR, I could buy the 36" now and steal 6 inches from a end counter/cabinet set (which is 12 inches of mostly dead space now). But that certainly increases the cost of the current 'oops'. Or, I could buy the 30" now, and then if the kitchen reno comes along, sell it and use the proceeds towards the new range.

Anyone face this before? Thoughts?

Thanks