• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, lindag said:

I got the newer Benrinerere recently

I have a divided drawer where my two benriner have their own home. With the extra blades and gloves. When I hit your link to amazon, the note above says my white one was purchased in 2017. So my original green one that most restaurants use must be from at least 5 years earlier. Useful hint, --it says dishwasher safe but not so. Eventually the screws holding the extra blades will corrode. Circled in red. I usually just rinse and air dry or a bit of soap and use a scrub brush. The screws are aluminum. I just keep those screws in their drawer as I use them less often. The green one uses a screw to adjust the slicing depth back side. If I run it through the dishwasher, I remove it. Bad design idea to use aluminum. 

The new design white one is now difficult to turn the wheel--no screw, so I have to use a rubberized lid opener. Bit of a struggle. 

Still love them and use them multiple times a week. The old green one lives in my travel crate now. 

Gloves are good to have. I've caught the fingertip a few times that would have removed some skin. The gloves come in a pair. When one was in the wash--the other is in my travel crate, I took a slice off my fingertip during lockdown. A new laptop with fingerprint recognition, took a couple months to get that fingerprint pattern back. I need to stitch it up and plan to slide in a sewing thimble. It is the only finger I can't seem to train to keep out of the way. 

The gloves are called 'no cry' on amazon. I should get something with stronger threads but these nicks in the fabric are a few in hundreds of uses. And never a skin slice. 

I'll get that one circled in red out eventually with some rust fluid but keep forgetting. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.01.36 PM.png

Annie_H

Annie_H

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, lindag said:

I got the newer Benrinerere recently

I have a divided drawer where my two benriner have their own home. With the extra blades and gloves. When I hit your link to amazon, the note above says my white one was purchased in 2017. So my original green one that most restaurants use must be from at least 5 years earlier. Useful hint, --it says dishwasher safe but not so. Eventually the screws holding the extra blades will corrode. Circled in red. I usually just rinse and air dry or a bit of soap and use a scrub brush. The screws are aluminum. I just keep this screws in their drawer as I use them less often. The green one uses a screw to adjust the slicing depth. If I run it through the dishwasher, I remove it. Bad design idea to use aluminum. 

The new design white one is now difficult to turn the wheel--no screw, so I have to use a rubberized lid opener. Bit of a struggle. 

Still love them and use them multiple times a week. The old green one lives in my travel crate now. 

Gloves are good to have. I've caught the fingertip a few times that would have removed some skin. The gloves come in a pair. When one was in the wash--the other is in my travel crate, I took a slice off my fingertip during lockdown. A new laptop with fingerprint recognition, took a couple months to get that fingerprint pattern back. I need to stitch it up and plan to slide in a sewing thimble. It is the only finger I can't seem to train to keep out of the way. 

The gloves are called 'no cry' on amazon. I should get something with stronger threads but these nicks in the fabric are a few in hundreds of uses. And never a skin slice. 

I'll get that one circled in red out eventually with some rust fluid but keep forgetting. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.01.36 PM.png