• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, munchymom said:

Like so many things that have to do with children and parenting, this thread has already taken on overtones of morality and judgment which in my opinion are misplaced. Why is it somehow better that Chinese kids go straight for the vegetables but are hesitant about the protein, as opposed to other kids who might go straight for the protein but be hesitant about the vegetables?

No one said it was better. It was just used as an example. I see no overtones of morality or judgement other than as noted below.

I would be very surprised if people with food aversions did not exist in China. I am also not a scientist and have no resources to draw on but my own experience, but I can think of reasons why a single observer in China might notice fewer children with food aversions. For instance, children in general might be brought to restaurants less frequently than in other places

I already said, this was only my personal observations and there may well be fussy eaters, but in England I know many - usually regarding vegetables, especially greens.  Also. anecdotally in most western countries. Isn't it surprising that I've never met one in 25 years in China? 

And children are most certainly taken to restaurants. I seriously doubt any fussy eaters are left behind at home to fend for themselves.

an observer who sees a restaurant with no "children's menu" might not notice a child quietly eating just a bowl of rice or noodles.

Ha! Now who is being judgemental? It's my fault for not noticing that child lurking in the corner? If a child were to do so, and I'm pretty observant, the bowl of rice or noodles wouldn't have come from a children's menu! That was my only point there - they don't have children's menus.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, munchymom said:

Like so many things that have to do with children and parenting, this thread has already taken on overtones of morality and judgment which in my opinion are misplaced. Why is it somehow better that Chinese kids go straight for the vegetables but are hesitant about the protein, as opposed to other kids who might go straight for the protein but be hesitant about the vegetables?

No one said it was better. It was just used as an example. I see no overtones of morality or judgement other than as noted below.

I would be very surprised if people with food aversions did not exist in China. I am also not a scientist and have no resources to draw on but my own experience, but I can think of reasons why a single observer in China might notice fewer children with food aversions. For instance, children in general might be brought to restaurants less frequently than in other places

I already said, this was only my personal observations and there may well be fussy eaters, but in England I know many - usually regarding vegeatbles, especiall greens. Isn't it surprising that I've never met one in 25 years in China? 

And children are most certainly taken to restaurants. I seriously doubt any fussy eaters are left behind at home to fend for themselves.

an observer who sees a restaurant with no "children's menu" might not notice a child quietly eating just a bowl of rice or noodles.

Ha! Now who is being judgemental? It's my fault for not noticing that child lurking in the corner? If a child were to do so, and I'm pretty observant, the bowl of rice or noodles wouldn't have come from a children's menu! That was my only point there - they don't have children's menus.

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, munchymom said:

No one said it was better. It was just used as an example. I see no overtones of morality or judgement.

I already said, this was only my personal observations and there may well be fussy eaters, but in England I know many - usually regarding vegeatbles, especiall greens. Isn't it surprising that I've never met one in 25 years in China? 

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, munchymom said:

No one said it was better. It was just used as an example. I see no overtones of morality or judgement.

Ha! Now who is being judgemental? It's my fault for not noticing that child lurking in the corner? If I child were to do so, and I'm pretty observant, the bowl of rice or noodles wouldn't have come from a children's menu! That was my only point there - they don't have children's menus.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, munchymom said:

3 minutes ago, munchymom said:

I already said, this was only my personal observations and there may well be fussy eaters, but in England I know many. Isn't it surprising that I've never met one in 25 years in China? 

9 minutes ago, munchymom said:

Ha! Now who is being judgemental? It's my fault for not noticing that child lurking in the corner? If I child were to do so, and I'm pretty observant, the bowl of rice or noodles wouldn't have come from a children's menu! That was my only point there - they don't have children's menus.