• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

afs

afs

Added additional findings

Does anyone know what the Combustion probe is made out of (both the shaft and the yellow plastic-looking handle at the end)?

I've been on a quest to replace plastics in the kitchen with stainless steel, glass and silicone/rubber.  MEATER Plus says it's made out of stainless steel and ceramic, and I'm okay with sticking that inside a Stasher bag along with a sous-vide steak.

I'm hoping that the Combustion probes also use silicone or ceramic (not non-rubber plastic) for the handle area.

On both the Combustion probes and on the MEATER plus probes, I'm also wondering if they're designed to work with induction stovetops (i.e. non-ferritic), as sometimes I want to add a wireless probe there too.  Not a requirement, but it would be a nice bonus.

Things I did find out from the combustion.inc website ( FAQ – Combustion Inc )

• The probe's upper temperature is greater than 500F range, so that probably rules out virtually all rubbers and plastics for the handle end.  Maybe it's ceramic?
  • They don't recommend using it with sous vide yet because they haven't finished testing how their gaskets seal under vacuum.  They intend for sous vide in vacuum-sealed bags to work.  I use Stasher bags, so that's not an issue for me.
  • The wireless signal is degraded by obstructions (which I presume also includes water).
  • They say that induction stoves are not a problem.
afs

afs

Added additional findings

Does anyone know what the Combustion probe is made out of (both the shaft and the yellow plastic-looking handle at the end)?

I've been on a quest to replace plastics in the kitchen with stainless steel, glass and silicone/rubber.  MEATER Plus says it's made out of stainless steel and ceramic, and I'm okay with sticking that inside a Stasher bag along with a sous-vide steak.

I'm hoping that the Combustion probes also use silicone or ceramic (not non-rubber plastic) for their silicone portion.

On both the Combustion probes and on the MEATER plus probes, I'm also wondering if they're designed to work with induction stovetops (i.e. non-ferritic), as sometimes I want to add a wireless probe there too.  Not a requirement, but it would be a nice bonus.

Things I did find out from the combustion.inc website( FAQ – Combustion Inc):

• The probe's upper temperature is greater than 500F range, so that probably rules out virtually all rubbers and plastics for the handle end.  Maybe it's ceramic?
  • They don't recommend using it with sous vide yet because they haven't finished testing how their gaskets seal under vacuum.  They intend for sous vide in vacuum-sealed bags to work.  I use Stasher bags, so that's not an issue for me.
  • The wireless signal is degraded by obstructions (which I presume also includes water).
  • They say that induction stoves are not a problem.
afs

afs

I'm hoping that the Combustion probes also use silicone or ceramic (not non-rubber plastic) for their silicone portion.