• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just to even things up, here is an example of the Chinese creating their own food myths for once.

Today, I posted this image in the Fruit topic.

.thumb.jpg.f1ef64b0b09d8059ab42500d3aa3cb26.jpg

These are 杨梅 (yáng méi), Myrica rubra. At least half the time, I see these descibed in Chinese literature written in English as waxberries. Waxberries they certainly ain't. A search for the Chinese name turns up all sorts of hits including from China Daily, the Communist Party controlled, biggest circulation English language newspaper all the way through to Chinese students' blogs, with many saying they are waxberries.

They are, in fact, Chinese bayberries and I love them. You are unlikely to come across them though as their importation is illegal in many western countries, not because of the fruit itself, but because of the insects the fruit attracts. I don't know about where you are but we do get dried samples when the fruit is out of season and they aren't bad, but the fresh, as usual, are much better. They are also used to make wine.

Yang Mei Wine in glass.jpg

杨梅酒 - Bayberry Wine

liuzhou

liuzhou

Just to even things up, here is an example of the Chinese creating their own food myths for once.

Today, I posted this image in the Fruit topic.

.thumb.jpg.f1ef64b0b09d8059ab42500d3aa3cb26.jpg

These are 杨梅 (yáng méi), Myrica rubra. At least half the time, I see these descibed in Chinese literature written in English as waxberries. Waxberries they certainly ain't. A search for the Chinese name turns up all sorts of hits including from China Daily, the Communist Party controlled, biggest circulation English language newspaper all the way through to Chinese students' blogs, with many saying they are waxberries.

They are, in fact, Chinese bayberries and I love them. You are unlikely to comeacross them though as their importation is illegal in many western countries, not because of the fruit itself, but because of the insects the fruit attracts. I don't know about where you are but we do get dried samples when the fruit is out of season and they aren't bad, but the fresh, as usual, are much better. They are also used to make wine.

Yang Mei Wine in glass.jpg