• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 11/18/2020 at 11:40 PM, Eatmywords said:

I see it on this scale only in China and S.Korea.  Is that incorrect?

As I said before it the number of dog-meat eaters in China is extremely low, probably less than 0.1%. Given its population of over 1.4 billion, that figure is, of course, higher than anywhere else. If 140,000 Chinese people have itchy buttocks, that doesn't mean the Chinese are more prone to having itchy buttocks. It just shows there are a lot of Chinese people. Absolute figures are statistically meaningless.

It has been stated that at last year's Yulin festival 1,000 dogs were eaten. Given that one dog serves around eight diners, that would represent approximately 0.0006% of the Chinese population. Hardly large scale.

liuzhou

liuzhou

20 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

As I said before it the number of dog-meat eaters in China is extremely low, probably less than 0.1%. Given its population of over 1.4 billion, that figure is, or course, higher than anywhere else. If 140,000 Chinese people have itchy buttocks, that doesn't mean the Chinese are more prone to having itchy buttocks. It just shows there are a lot of Chinese people. Absolute figures are statistically meaningless.

It has been stated that at last year's Yulin festival 1,000 dogs were eaten. Given that one dog serves around eight diners, that would represent approximately 0.0006% of the Chinese population. Hardly large scale.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

As I said before it the number of dog-meat eaters in China is extremely low, probably than 0.1%. Given its population of over 1.4 billion, that figure is, or course, higher than anywhere else. If 140,000 Chinese people have itchy buttocks, that doesn't mean the Chinese are more prone to having itchy buttocks. It just shows there are a lot of Chinese people. Absolute figures are statistically meaningless.

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

As I said before it the number of dog-meat eaters in China is extremely low, probably than 0.1%. Given its population of over 1.4 billion, that figure is, or course, higher than anywhere else. If 140,000 Chinese people have itchy buttocks, that doesn't mean the Chinese are more prone to having itchy buttocks. It just shows there are a lot of Chinese people. Absolute figures are statistically meaningless.

It has been stated that at last year's Yulin festival 1,000 dogs were eaten. Given that one dog serves around eight dinner that would represent approximately 0.0006% of the Chinese population. Hardly large scale.