• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The sauce is made fresh in the wok each time, using the ingredients individually. Fermented black beans or 豆豉 (dòu chǐ ) are easily found, cheap and keep for months.

835164615_Fermentedblackbeans2.thumb.jpg.b8a1a9426ff5a352f345cea44b6eb1b2.jpg

They are fried along with the main protein or vegetable. Garlc, ginger, soy sauce, etc are also incorporated - i.e all the things in LKK's bottle except the "caramel color, modified corn starch, xanthan gum."

These I keep in my pantry in a Ball jar.  Do you, or do they in China, soak them before use? Obviously, the dried ones I get in Chinese groceries are pretty salty.

Can you talk about the numerous  types of, and ways to use, dried shrimp? 

weinoo

weinoo

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The sauce is made fresh in the wok each time, using the ingredients individually. Fermented black beans or 豆豉 (dòu chǐ ) are easily found, cheap and keep for months.

835164615_Fermentedblackbeans2.thumb.jpg.b8a1a9426ff5a352f345cea44b6eb1b2.jpg

They are fried along with the main protein or vegetable. Garlc, ginger, soy sauce, etc are also incorporated - i.e all the things in LKK's bottle except the "caramel color, modified corn starch, xanthan gum."

These I keep in my pantry in a Ball jar.  Do you, or do they in China, soak them before use? Obviously, the dired ones I get in Chinese groceries are pretty salty.

Can you talk about the numerous  types of, and ways to use, dried shrimp?