• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I seldom cook from recipes although I read a lot of them. Today I was looking at one which went into meticulous detail to the nearest milliliter about how much vinegar to add then suggested I use half a red onion. The colour of the onion is irrelevant. What I want I know is "how much onion is half an onion?" Which onion?

Here are three red onions found today in a local store. Which one should I use half of?

20200717_191638.thumb.jpg.317fe2725d4a456243edeca931da7c55.jpg

Do recipe writers ever read their recipes? Or do their editors? This is far from an isolated example. I see such absurdities all the time.

27 milligrams of this and a pinch of salt? Whose pinch? What is a large pinch?

A thumb of ginger. Whose thumb?

I've even been advised to add a tickle of spice to a dish! My reply to that is not publishable on a family friendly site such as this.

Grrr!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I seldom cook from recipes although I read a lot. Today I was looking at one which went into meticulous detail to the nearest milliliter about how much vinegar to add then suggested I use half a red onion. The colour of the onion is irrelevant. What I want I know is "how much onion is half an onion?" Which onion?

Here are three red onions found today in a local store. Which one should I use half of?

Do recipe writers ever read their recipes? Or do their editors? This is far from an isolated example. I see such absurdities all the time.

I've even been advised to add a tickle of spice to a dish! My reply to that is not publishable on a family friendly site such as this.

Grrr!

liuzhou

liuzhou

I seldom cook from recipes although I read a lot. Today I was looking at one which went into meticulous detail to the nearest milliliter about how much vinegar to add then suggested I use half a red onion. The colour of the onion is irrelevant. What I want I know is "how much onion is half an onion?" Which onion?

I've even been advised to add a tickle of spice to  dish! My reply to that is not publishable on a family friendly site such as this.

Grrr!