• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

5 minutes ago, scott123 said:

When I first read this, my first thought was "is there even equipment that can inject a whole chicken?" Apparently, there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gI1rBVSWn8

This being said, I'm very sensitive to salt, and I don't detect any noticeable saltiness in the meat, just the skin.  I'll concede that it's not the same thing as a fresh unbrined chicken that you've cooked yourself, but, it's exponentially closer to that than deli chicken/turkey.

My thought was that it's just much faster, and disperses the brine throughout the bird to a greater degree, than dunking the bird in a salt water bath for a day.

But, after seeing that video, yikes!  I wonder how much weight the bird puts on in that machine.

Also, if you're the person manning the machine, don't fall in.

weinoo

weinoo

1 minute ago, scott123 said:

When I first read this, my first thought was "is there even equipment that can inject a whole chicken?" Apparently, there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gI1rBVSWn8

This being said, I'm very sensitive to salt, and I don't detect any noticeable saltiness in the meat, just the skin.  I'll concede that it's not the same thing as a fresh unbrined chicken that you've cooked yourself, but, it's exponentially closer to that than deli chicken/turkey.

My thought was that it's just much faster, and disperses the brine throughout the bird to a greater degree than dunking the bird in a salt water bath for a day.

But, after seeing that video, yikes!  I wonder how much weight the bird puts on in that machine. Also, if you're the person manning the machine, don't fall in.