• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

The BEST way to get a consistent result is to follow the  specific directions.  Heat the milk or cream to at least 180° which is the temperature where the CASEIN converts.  I heat in the microwave in a 2 quart Pyrex measure  to 190°F 

I then cool it to 115° F.  And I have a high/low  alarm probe thermometer so I know the precise temperature. 

Any temperature HIGHER THAN 120° F   will KILL THE CULTURE AND YOU WILL JUST HAVE SOUR MILK.

I have been making yogurt since the 1970s and when I lived in my motorhome for 3 years when I was actively showing dogs,  I used a laboratory transport cooler which had thick insulation and with the use of a small heating pad, would maintain the yogurt at 95°F for the 12 hours incubation period.  

I use what works for me and have a Yogotherm (non-electric) that I mostly use for other dairy procedures  and I have 

A Tribest YoLife electric yogurt maker that came with a half-gallon jar and some smaller jars that I never used. 

I got it years ago when I was still working - early 2000s.  It works great for me.

Last year I evaluated a Proctor Silex yogurt maker - I think it made a quart - worked very well. It had not yet been launched so I had no idea what the price would be.  I gave it to the young woman who helps me in the house and yard from time to time.

I just checked, it is 40.99 on Amazon.  

The milk STILL HAS TO BE HEATED TO OVER 180°F. and then cooled to below 120 to add the culture but then the appliance will hold it at the pre-set temp 110°F.  until done.  

Editing to add photos of thermometers.  One is an inexpensive probe using a clip-on probe holder, also sold by Thermoworks.  The other is the high-low alarm thermometer from Thermoworks.  These photos are from 2011.

758871570_ScreenShot2019-07-05at3_44_50PM.thumb.png.afd912bec7805b5b59a8b6a7749dc45d.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

The BEST way to get a consistent result is to follow the  specific directions.  Heat the milk or cream to at least 180° which is the temperature where the CASEIN converts.  I heat in the microwave in a 2 quart Pyrex measure  to 190°F 

I then cool it to 115° F.  And I have a high/low  alarm probe thermometer so I know the precise temperature. 

Any temperature HIGHER THAN 120° F   will KILL THE CULTURE AND YOU WILL JUST HAVE SOUR MILK.

I have been making yogurt since the 1970s and when I lived in my motorhome for 3 years when I was actively showing dogs,  I used a laboratory transport cooler which had thick insulation and with the use of a small heating pad, would maintain the yogurt at 95°F for the 12 hours incubation period.  

I use what works for me and have a Yogotherm (non-electric) that I mostly use for other dairy procedures  and I have 

A Tribest YoLife electric yogurt maker that came with a half-gallon jar and some smaller jars that I never used. 

I got it years ago when I was still working - early 2000s.  It works great for me.

Last year I evaluated a Proctor Silex yogurt maker - I think it made a quart - worked very well. It had not yet been launched so I had no idea what the price would be.  I gave it to the young woman who helps me in the house and yard from time to time.

I just checked, it is 40.99 on Amazon.  

The milk STILL HAS TO BE HEATED TO OVER 180°F. and then cooled to below 120 to add the culture but then the appliance will hold it at the pre-set temp 110°F.  until done.