• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

54 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My setup is similar, though my lazy susan isn't self-centering. I use it for pots and pans, because that's what *needed* to go in that space for various reasons.

It's much more useful than an L-shaped pair of shelves would be...I've had that option, and loathed it. OTOH I'm not a big fan of this arrangement either. The handles of my pots and pans often jam, and there's a lot of wasted space behind the lazy susan. Also, if anything falls down behind the lazy susan, it'll stick and you'll have an entertaining time trying to excavate the culprit (on arthritic and damaged knees, in my case).

In your particular case, I wonder if something like this would be useful: Not-so-lazy Susan ? I don't need to store skillets in my corner cabinet but it seems like it'd be useful if I did.

That Shelf Genie "Glide Around" looks almost ideal -- but given you can't even get a price without a "design consultation" I'm guessing it's stupid expensive. This wire equivalent is interesting, but the center drawer is only 12" wide, which is just a little too small for a lot of stuff I do store down there. And I feel like nothing would actually fit in the side baskets. Plus it's $600, versus $120 for a good lazy susan.

(I can commiserate on the knees -- you can probably hear my cursing up in Canada when I drop something behind my freezer drawer, which I imagine is similar.)

dtremit

dtremit

52 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My setup is similar, though my lazy susan isn't self-centering. I use it for pots and pans, because that's what *needed* to go in that space for various reasons.

It's much more useful than an L-shaped pair of shelves would be...I've had that option, and loathed it. OTOH I'm not a big fan of this arrangement either. The handles of my pots and pans often jam, and there's a lot of wasted space behind the lazy susan. Also, if anything falls down behind the lazy susan, it'll stick and you'll have an entertaining time trying to excavate the culprit (on arthritic and damaged knees, in my case).

In your particular case, I wonder if something like this would be useful: Not-so-lazy Susan ? I don't need to store skillets in my corner cabinet but it seems like it'd be useful if I did.

That Shelf Genie "Glide Around" looks almost ideal -- but given you can't even get a price without a "design consultation" I'm guessing it's stupid expensive. This wire equivalent is interesting, but the center drawer is only 12" wide, which is just a little too small for a lot of stuff I do store down there. And I feel like nothing would actually fit in the side baskets. 

(I can commiserate on the knees -- you can probably hear my cursing up in Canada when I drop something behind my freezer drawer, which I imagine is similar.)

dtremit

dtremit

39 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That Shelf Genie "Glide Around" looks almost ideal -- but given you can't even get a price without a "design consultation" I'm guessing it's stupid expensive. This wire equivalent is interesting, but the center drawer is only 12" wide, which is just a little too small for a lot of stuff I do store down there. And I feel like nothing would actually fit in the side baskets.