• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

When we did a kitchen remodel it was an open plan with no barrier at all between the "great room" and kitchen. I entertained alot so it was nice to be part of things but also nice to "escape". The sink and stove were furthest from the great room. The island we did was pretty big. One half had cabinets and a mini sink (sink was stoopid) and the other had open knee space and low bar stools around it. That worked really well for our small family everday dining as well as giving the guests who wanted to have kitchen time a place to hang out without being "underfoot". I rule my kitchen ;)  I loved the granite countertops and big splash. He ran the splash up to the window sill and up to lower edge of cabinets so it looked clean.  The sink had a big window above and the stove had a window adjacent so I always felt connected. I had lots of counterspace so the island was more of a bridge. If I can find a picture I'll post. 

heidih

heidih

When we did a kitchen remodel it was an open plan with no barrier at all between the "great room" and kitchen. I entertained alot so it was nice to be part of things but also nice to "escape". The sink and stove were furthest from the great room. The island we did was pretty big. One half had cabinets and a mini sink (sink was stoopid) and the other had open knee space and low bar stools around it. That worked really well for our small family everday dining as well as giving the guests who wanted to have kitchen time a place to hang out without being "underfoot". I rule my kitchen ;)  I loved the granite countertops and big splash. He ran the splash up to the window sill so it looked clean.  The sink had a big window above and the stove had a window adjacent so I always felt connected. I had lots of counterspace so the island was more of a bridge. If I can find a picture I'll post.