• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sideberns

rich

My wife and I are flying to Tampa Saturday for our annual trek to Berns Steakhouse, but this year we are going to Sideberns, their sister restaurant located about a block away and opened for a little more than a year.

After reading the reviews, we decided to try it. We'll have dinner at Berns Sunday night - we always go to a "difficult to reserve" place during the Super Bowl because tables are easy to get.

I spoke to the people at Sideberns and asked if Joanne (the chef) would prepare a meal for us. Kathleen, the party coordinator, called me back yesterday and asked our likes and dislikes and said Joanne would prepare a six-course meal. A special menu would be prepared for us to take home as a momento. A very pleasant experience and conversation.

I then asked If I could order wine from Berns and have it served at Sideberns. She said yes but offered an alternative. She said they do have a sommelier who matches wine with food and could offer us a $40, $60 or $80 per person selection. I chose the $80 - so the entire dinner will be $179.81 a person. It's an odd amount, but Berns is noted for their odd prices.

Check out the website below. It's very interesting. I'll report on the dinners when I return late next week.

(Will also visit a few places in Southern Florida early next week.)

Berns

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 2 weeks later...

The tasting menu at Sideberns was outstanding. The wine choices were ordinary, but the food is unmatched.

I have the menu (that they personally prepared for me and my wife)and will attempt to post it with a description of each course is so indicated.

The total price of $425 for two was a bit hefty, but the wine was $160. At $79 a person for the tasting menu, it was a terrific bargain in my opinion.

I'll post the menu over the next few days if there's interest. If there's none, please let me know - it will save a great deal of time and effort.

Thanks!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I'm surprised about the wines. Berns is reputed to have an exceptionally deep wine selection

You're right, Bern's has the most extensive list in the world. But Sidebern's (their sister restaurant 100 yards down the street) has a totally different menu and list.

While the SB list is fine, the wines chosen for thr tasting menu were just ordinary, except for the dessert choice.

Before I went, I asked if I could make a selection from Bern's list. They said fine, but then informed me of their selection choice. Regretably, I decided on the latter - my fault. I should have trusted my own judgement.

Rich Schulhoff

Rich, do please post the menu and your comments.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 years later...

My best friend is getting married in March, and as the Best Man, I chose Tampa as my destination for his bachelor party. After all of the glowing reviews, I just booked a reservation for 12 people in their private, glassed-in room. I am very excited for this. They will be putting together a 4-course meal for the entire group. Does anybody have any suggestions on some of their best entrees? I am going to be able to choose 4-5 options. I will certainly report back when we return.

Are you going to Bern's or Sideberns? I have only been to Bern's once and it was certiainly an experience. If you do Bern's be sure to take the tour, you get to see the wine cellar and the fresh fish tanks. Funny thing about the wine list, the wine list was the size of a small phonebook and was anchored down to our table. I guess they make great souvenirs. :laugh: Apparently, they keep about 100,000 bottles of wine on premise and I think the wine list has at least 2000 listings!!!!

Here is their website:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

As far as the steaks, I am no expert as I find the occasional Outback Steakhouse outing to be okay :shock: . But, I did like the strip steak I ordered. Opinions are widely varying and passionate about Berns, from people who are greatly disappointed about the hype to people who love it. You should check out the chowhound.com Florida messageboards and you can see for yourself.

Enjoy the bachelor party.

My wife and I went there again two weeks ago - Saturday at Sideberns and Sunday at Bern's. Both were as good as ever. The Delmonico cut is still the best steak I've ever tasted.

The dim-sim appetizers at Sideberns were extraordinary as was the fish I ordered. I forget the name right now, but it was indigenous to Hawaii. When I'm home I'll look at the menu and post the name. It was something like aho pu. :blink::blink:

Rich Schulhoff