• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Deleted a line

We went around the cape and saw some interesting folk art.  Below is a picture of one such place.  We saw the gentleman owner outside so we drove in to ask the 1) what it was, 2) where it came from and 3) could we take a picture.  He was a typical older Newfoundland man, with a very thick accent not helped by not having many teeth.  But also very typical, he was very friendly.  It turned out that these were nothing more than rocks which had been painted and gussied up some and came from a quarry a couple of miles up the road and yes, of course we could take a picture.  He also said "thar's a big blow today" which of course meant that it was very windy.  Which it was.  As we were leaving, I said "it was nice to have met you". He responded, "nice to meet you too, b'y". B'y being a typical Newfoundland term.

We arrived at the Inn at the Cape st 5:45 and it turned out that supper was at 6:00, not 6:30 as advertised.  There are only 5 of us here, so the food was put out at 6:00 and you served yourself although the owner/chef was always around.  The offerings were fish chowder, deep fried cod, meatloaf, French fries, coleslaw, and salad.  Dessert was sugar or lemon meringue pie or ice cream with rhubarb sauce.  I had a bit of everything and I failed in my duty to take pictures as my battery in my tablet had died.  The food was reasonably good, the fish excellent.  The battery recharged while we were having dinner so starting tomorrow, there will be pictures of food. 

It turns out the owner of the inn is also the mayor of this town which made for some interesting conversation.  We shared a table with a couple from Welland, another city in Ontario.  It turned out that this couple's house sitter, a next door neighbour, is the brother of John's former best friend's wife.  I say former because his friend passed away 4 years ago.  It can be a small world sometimes.

As far as food on the plane goes, the flight has two legs.  On the first one, I had some almonds.  On the second leg I had a bag of chips and a little package of Walker's shortbread cookies.  And that was it for food until we got here.  We were ravenous.

Tomorrow we are going south, to Port-aux-Basques and going east from there as far as the road takes us, which is to a restored lighthouse.  We have a place in mind for lunch which apparently serves very good fish. 

Until tomorrow.  Time for a glass of wine.

20180623_171515.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

We went around the cape and saw some interesting folk art.  Below is a picture of one such place.  We saw the gentleman owner outside so we drove in to ask the 1) what it was, 2) where it came from and 3) could we take a picture.  He was a typical older Newfoundland man, with a very thick accent not helped by not having many teeth.  But also very typical, he was very friendly.  It turned out that these were nothing more than rocks which had been painted and gussied up some and came from a quarry a couple of miles up the road and yes, of course we could take a picture.  He also said "thar's a big blow today" which of course meant that it was very windy.  Which it was.  As we were leaving, I said "it was nice to have met you". He responded, "nice to meet you too, b'y". B'y being a typical Newfoundland term.

We arrived at the Inn at the Cape st 5:45 and it turned out that supper was at 6:00, not 6:30 as advertised.  There are only 5 of us here, so the food was put out at 6:00 and you served yourself although the owner/chef was always around.  The offerings were fish chowder, deep fried cod, meatloaf, French fries, coleslaw, and salad.  Dessert was sugar or lemon meringue pie or ice cream with rhubarb sauce.  I had a bit of everything and I failed in my duty to take pictures as my battery in my tablet had died.  The food was reasonably good, the fish excellent.  The battery recharged while we were having dinner so starting tomorrow, there will be pictures of food. 

It turns out the owner of the inn is also the mayor of this town which made for some interesting conversation.  We shared a table with a couple from Welland, another city in Ontario.  It turned out that this couple's house sitter, a next door neighbour, is the brother of John's former best friend's wife.  I say former because his friend passed away 4 years ago.  It can be a small world sometimes.

As far as food on the plane goes, the flight has two legs.  On the first one, I had some almonds.  On the second leg I had a bag of chips and a little package of Walker's shortbread cookies.  And that was it for food until we got here.  We were ravenous.

Tomorrow we are going south, to Port-aux-Basques and going east from there as far as the road takes us, which is to a restored lighthouse.  We have a place in mind for lunch which apparently serves very good fish.  To borrow night we will be in York Harbour.

Until tomorrow.  Time for a glass of wine.

20180623_171515.jpg