• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

22 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I weighed the cream after infusing/straining and added additional cream to make up the weight lost. Cream is 33%. The chocolate doesn’t have the split on it (cocoa solids vs. butter) but it is Madagascan criollo chocolate—which I kind of remember hearing is extra viscous? Maybe that’s part of it?

Nothing that is going to help with the issue here, but when you infuse cream you should make up the difference with milk. Water is selectively taken up by the plant material and you can end up with too much fat when you add additional cream.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

47 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I weighed the cream after infusing/straining and added additional cream to make up the weight lost. Cream is 33%. The chocolate doesn’t have the split on it (cocoa solids vs. butter) but it is Madagascan criollo chocolate—which I kind of remember hearing is extra viscous? Maybe that’s part of it?

Nothing that is going to help with the issue here, but when you infuse cream you should make up the difference with milk. Water is selectively taken up by the plant material and you can end up with too much fat when you add additional cream.Nothing that is going to help with the issue here, but when you infuse cream you should make up the difference with milk. Water is selectively taken up by the plant material and you can end up with too much fat when you add additional cream.