• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

Hit post on accident

I am having so much trouble with the viscosity of my ganache for molded bonbons. I made a lime ganache last night and by the time it was cool enough to pipe it was so very thick. 

100g 65% dark 

105g lime infused cream

9g invert sugar

13g butter

I partially the chocolate until it was 35C, heated the invert sugar and cream to around 40C and added it in 4 additions, making sure the temperature was between 35 and 40C (as per the Valrhona method), added the butter at 34C, cooled to 29C and piped. 

You can see how thick it was: 

BB7EADCF-D839-43C6-894D-D7D3406C0BCB.thumb.jpeg.87a9e68f05e2a7e6ace08fbbb3edc3c6.jpeg

The ratio of chocolate to cream is already right about 1:1. Is it the method? Thoughts? This is not the only time I’ve had this problem. The only time I’ve ever achieved a self-leveling ganache it was a white chocolate one. :( 

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

I am having so much trouble with the viscosity of my ganache for molded bonbons. I made a lime ganache last night and by the time it was cool enough to pipe it was so very thick. 

100g 65% dark 

105g lime infused cream

9g invert sugar

13g butter

I partially the chocolate until it was 35C, heated the invert sugar and cream to around 40C and added it in 4 additions, making sure the temperature was between 35 and 40C (as per the Valrhona method), added the butter at 34C, cooled to 29C and piped. 

You can see how thick it was: 

BB7EADCF-D839-43C6-894D-D7D3406C0BCB.thumb.jpeg.87a9e68f05e2a7e6ace08fbbb3edc3c6.jpeg