• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

demiglace

demiglace

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The instructions are to add 2 tablespoons of the granules to 1 cup of boiling water. So no matter how you look at it it has a high sodium content. A quarter cup of the gravy would still contain 280 mg of salt.  And I accept that is it is a concern to some but gravy is a treat for me.  It’s not something I eat every day or even every week. 

The manager of the British store I went to years ago seemed perturbed that I was still using powdered Bisto. She said she makes gravy in the roasting pan and just before it's done she shakes some granules in the gravy, stirs it up and it's done. I bought a can of the granules but went back to powder.

demiglace

demiglace

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The instructions are to add 2 tablespoons of the granules to 1 cup of boiling water. So no matter how you look at it it has a high sodium content. A quarter cup of the gravy would still contain 280 mg of salt.  And I accept that is it is a concern to some but gravy is a treat for me.  It’s not something I eat every day or even every week. 

The manager of the British store I went to years ago seemed perturbed that I was still using powdered Bisto. She said she makes gravy in the roasting pan and just before it's done she shakes some granules in the gravy. stirs it up and it's done. I bought a can of the granules but went back to powder.