• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Finally got the sorel bowl photo to load!

Recently I've read Sqirl everything i want to eat. It was an interesting read and her tiny restaurant had earned a cult following. So after days of horrible fast food and chain restaurants, I decided to get up at 730am to eat at Koslow's tiny East Hollywood cafe. This was the line at 745am on a Saturday morning. They open at 8am.

IMG_2781.jpg.630b532a23cbb1d884f30e894b1221f3.jpg

The food was fabulous! There was so much care and thought put towards the food, I was amazed. It's rare to see this care nowadays. It impressed me so much, I plan on doing a cook-through of her cookbook in a few weeks. Her food really opened my eyes. I realized that if I only use the best and freshest ingredients, and put the utmost care, the simplest recipes can come out fantastic.

I started out with a cappacino ($4.25) with perfect foam art. Now that's foam art.

IMG_2785.JPG.abd829f2d304f852ba7b8194a1898afd.JPG

Next was the biscuit and butter with strawberry rose geranium jam. Those were the best, fluffiest, most tender biscuits I've ever had, I can't wait to make them. I could feel and taste the crunch of her fleur de sel crystals on top. I loved the salt so much, I bought a box when I got home.

I also got her decadent lemon poppy-seed loaf cake, made with the tastiest poppy-seeds I've ever had. I asked for it to-go, because there was no way I could eat so much, but I ended up finishing it on the spot! It was moist, decadent, and dare I say, creamy. My eyes have been opened to how delicious ordinary loaf cake can taste when made with the right ingredients.

IMG_2786.JPG.31208da1117e82aa3c39201c653276a2.JPG   IMG_2784.JPG.f1fc03c8bea8730f64f2342d9fe97e05.JPG

Lastly, I got her famous sorrel rice bowl and it was the only disappointment of the day. It was too sour for my taste. Next time, if I ever order it again, I'll add the kale and avocado to temper the preserved lemons. Her perfectly poached eggs were great but the rice on it's own made me pucker, not in a good way.

IMG_2788.thumb.JPG.4696a92f7087e4c9ae2395312c6a812c.JPG

Overall, 5 stars visit, and a renewed enthusiasm in the LA dining scene. I highly recommend the place, and I also recommend you come early.

Or you can buy her cookbook and join me in a cook-through.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Recently I've read Sqirl everything i want to eat. It was an interesting read and her tiny restaurant had earned a cult following. So after days of horrible fast food and chain restaurants, I decided to get up at 730am to eat at Koslow's tiny East Hollywood cafe. This was the line at 745am on a Saturday morning. They open at 8am.

The food was fabulous! There was so much care and thought put towards the food, I was amazed. It's rare to see this care nowadays. It impressed me so much, I plan on doing a cook-through of her cookbook in a few weeks. Her food really opened my eyes. I realized that if I only use the best and freshest ingredients, and put the utmost care, the simplest recipes can come out fantastic.

I started out with a cappacino ($4.25) with perfect foam art. Now that's foam art.

Next was the biscuit and butter with strawberry rose geranium jam. Those were the best, fluffiest, most tender biscuits I've ever had, I can't wait to make them. I could feel and taste the crunch of her fleur de sel crystals on top. I loved the salt so much, I bought a box when I got home.

I also got her decadent lemon poppy-seed loaf cake, made with the tastiest poppy-seeds I've ever had. I asked for it to-go, because there was no way I could eat so much, but I ended up finishing it on the spot! It was moist, decadent, and dare I say, creamy. My eyes have been opened to how delicious ordinary loaf cake can taste when made with the right ingredients.

IMG_2786.JPG.31208da1117e82aa3c39201c653276a2.JPG   IMG_2784.JPG.f1fc03c8bea8730f64f2342d9fe97e05.JPG

Lastly, I got her famous sorrel rice bowl and it was the only disappointment of the day. It was too sour for my taste. Next time, if I ever order it again, I'll add the kale and avocado to temper the preserved lemons. Her perfectly poached eggs were great but the rice on it's own made me pucker, not in a good way.

Overall, 5 stars visit, and a renewed enthusiasm in the LA dining scene. I highly recommend the place, and I also recommend you come early.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

Next was the biscuit and butter with strawberry rose geranium jam. Those were the best, fluffiest, most tender biscuits I've ever had, I can't wait to make them. I could feel and taste the crunch of her fleur de sel crystals on top, it made such a difference. I loved the salt so much, I bought a box when I got home.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

The food was fabulous! There was so much care and thought put towards the food, I was amazed. It's so rare to see this care nowadays. It impressed me so much, I plan on doing a cook-through of her cookbook in a few weeks. Her food really opened my eyes, I realized that if I only use the best and freshest ingredients, and put the utmost care, the simplest recipes can come out fantastic.

Next was the biscuit and butter with strawberry rose geranium jam. Those were the best, fluffiest, most tender biscuits I've ever had, I can't wait to make them. I could feel and taste the crunch of her fleur de sel crystals on top, it made such a difference. I loved the salt so much, I bought a box when I got home.

Smokeydoke

Smokeydoke

The food was fabulous! Wow! It had been months since I've been this impressed with a restaurant. There was so much care and thought put towards the food. It impressed me so much, I plan on doing a cook-through of her cookbook in a few weeks. Her food really opened my eyes, I realized that if I only use the best and freshest ingredients, the simplest recipes can come out fantastic.