• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Shelby and Quiet, I would suggest first thinking thru what are your requirements and why and the importance of the requirement (folks often miss the 2nd and 3rd parts)...then find the solution (this is where my Techie background comes in). Or, said another way, how do you cook now,  how often do you cook that way, what are those "I Hate this XYZ moments', and what do you want to cook (or how to cook) more of in the future (current state requirements, pain points, and future state requirements, in my lingo). Most people just jump right to a solution, based upon other's recommendations, but it can be a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster, particularly with a major purchase.

For example

-I regularly stir fry, canning or want boiling water at lighting speed (High priority solution = 22k BTUs burners, medium priority, 15k burner)

-I do lot of candy making or cook delicate sauces regularly (excellent simmer control, solution = probably not induction)

-I cook sourdourgh boules 6x a a year (solution = steam oven)

-I only cook basic pies, cakes and cookies, usually small batches (solution = plane old gas oven, well regulated, can be smaller size).

-I want to be able to cook massive amounts of cookies on a weekend (solution = either double oven or an oven big enough to fit full sheet pans)

-I need to be able to cook 2 things at two different temperatures at any given time. High priority solution = dual oven . Low Priority (maybe only at the holidays) then maybe 1 oven in the stove and 1 portable/countertop oven that can be stored in the basement is enough.

You get my drift....

Once you have your requirements and the importance/priority of the requirements (3 = must have, 2 = nice to have, 1 = can live without) look them over again. You should have a 30/30/30 ish type of split in your requirements (if they are all 3s, get ready to spend a bazillion dolloars and have your expectations dashed, because no one product is the tops at everything...it's all about compromising on the things that are not must haves). Once you have your requirements nailed, narrowing down the type of stove becomes a lot easier (you want a stove that hits all your 3s and a lot of the 2s). Particularly because we each have different requirements, so the stove that may be a good fit for me may not be a good fit for you!  Then, once you have found the top contenders, try to cook on them (testing). You'll know pretty quickly if your defined reality (aka requirements) are actually met by the tool (oops, stove). You will probably even identify more things you want/don't want when doing the testing (or things are more/less important that you initially identified).

The other thing you can do is keep a notebook by your stove for the next few weeks. Jot down likes and dislikes as you go....will help with the requirements.

This can be done with any major purchase.  Techie signing off now. I will bill you all later ;)

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

Shelby and Quiet, I would suggest first thinking thru what are your requirements and why and the importance of the requirement (folks often miss the 2nd and 3rd parts)...then find the solution (this is where my Techie background comes in). Or, said another way, how do you cook now,  how often do you cook that way, what are those "I Hate this XYZ moments', and what do you want to cook (or how to cook) more of in the future (current state requirements, pain points, and future state requirements, in my lingo). Most people just jump right to a solution, based upon other's recommendations, but it can be a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster, particularly with a major purchase.

For example

-I do of stir frying, canning or is boiling water at lighting speed important (High priority solution = 22k BTUs burners, medium priority, 15k burner)

-I do lot of candy making or cook delicate sauces regularly (excellent simmer control, solution = probably not induction)

-I cook sourdourgh boules 6x a a year (solution = steam oven)

-I only cook basic pies, cakes and cookies, usually small batches (solution = plane old gas oven, well regulated, can be smaller size).

-I want to be able to cook massive amounts of cookies on a weekend (solution = either double oven or an oven big enough to fit full sheet pans)

-I need to be able to cook 2 things at two different temperatures at any given time. High priority solution = dual oven . Low Priority (maybe only at the holidays) then maybe 1 oven in the stove and 1 portable/countertop oven that can be stored in the basement is enough.

You get my drift....

Once you have your requirements and the importance/priority of the requirements (3 = must have, 2 = nice to have, 1 = can live without) look them over again. You should have a 30/30/30 ish type of split in your requirements (if they are all 3s, get ready to spend a bazillion dolloars and have your expectations dashed, because no one product is the tops at everything...it's all about compromising on the things that are not must haves). Once you have your requirements nailed, narrowing down the type of stove becomes a lot easier (you want a stove that hits all your 3s and a lot of the 2s). Particularly because we each have different requirements, so the stove that may be a good fit for me may not be a good fit for you!  Then, once you have found the top contenders, try to cook on them (testing). You'll know pretty quickly if your defined reality (aka requirements) are actually met by the tool (oops, stove). You will probably even identify more things you want/don't want when doing the testing (or things are more/less important that you initially identified).

The other thing you can do is keep a notebook by your stove for the next few weeks. Jot down likes and dislikes as you go....will help with the requirements.

This can be done with any major purchase.  Techie signing off now. I will bill you all later ;)

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

For example

Do you do a lot of stir frying, canning or is boiling water at lighting speed important (solution = high BTUs)

Do you do a lot of candy making or delicate sauces (excellent simmer control, solution = probably not induction)

Do you do a lot a bread baking and/or proofing (solution could be = steam oven if you bake a LOT or sourdough boules or french bread is a regular baking staple). But if it's only 1x or 2x a year that you do major baking (besides basic pies, cakes and cookies), maybe a plan old gas oven, well regulated, is enough

I need to be able to cook 2 things at two different temperatures at any given time. High priority solution = dual oven . Low Priority (maybe only at the holidays) then maybe 1 oven in the stove and 1 portable/countertop oven that can be stored in the basement is enough.

TechieTechie

TechieTechie

For example

Do you do a lot of stir frying, canning or is boiling water at lighting speed important (solution = high BTUs)

Do you do a lot of candy making or delicate sauces (excellent simmer control, solution = probably not induction)

Do you do a lot a bread baking and/or proofing (solution could be = steam oven if you bake a LOT or sourdough boules or french bread is a regular baking staple). But if it's only 1x or 2x a year that you do major baking (besides basic pies, cakes and cookies), maybe a plan old gas oven, well regulated, is enough

I need to be able to cook 2 things at two different temperatures. High priority solution = dual oven . Low Priority (maybe only at the holidays) then maybe 1 oven in the stove and 1 portable/countertop oven that can be stored in the basement is enough.

Once you have your requirements and the importance/priority of the requirements (3 = must have, 2 = nice to have, 1 = can live without) narrowing down the type of stove becomes a lot easier (you want a stove that hits all your 3s and a lot of the 2s). Particularly because we each have different requirements, so the stove that may be a good fit for me may not be a good fit for you!  Then, once you have found the top contenders, try to cook on them (testing). You'll know pretty quickly if your defined reality (aka requirements) are actually met by the tool (oops, stove). You will probably even identify more things you want/don't want when doing the testing (or things are more/less important that you initially identified).