• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typos

This is inspired by a side comment on this topic around here.

The comment referred to the age of diners at a social gathering

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The old folks want meat and veggies cooked to death, can't tolerate a lot of salt (salt is the most important flavoring agent, IMO), aren't interested in new to them dishes or ingredients, can't tolerate spices, and are generally unrewarding to attempt to cook for.

I replied that the old folks @Thanks for the Crepes knows must be different to those I know. Crepes took this to be self referential! I wasn't talking about me, a mere boy approaching his prime! I was, of course, referring to those much older, either in years or outlook.

What I should have clarified (although that would have distracted from the topic's purpose), is that in my experience, the elderly I know do not fit that description at all. Sure, many people tend to become more conservative as they age, but being conservative means sticking with the foods you grew up on or enjoyed in earlier times. I don't see them seeking "cooked to death" or saltless and spiceless etc. If they are accustomed to salty, spicy foods in earlier life they still will be. My 88-year old mother will still berate you if you don't season properly!

In fact, I tend to see the younger generations being more boring. My granddaughters regularly horrify me with Facebook tales of the garbage they eat for preference. I also meet a number of young people here who profess not to like "spicy", while their parents add more chili pepper. Maybe I just know strange people, but I suspect not.

As for me, as I gracefully sink into the sunset, I become more adventurous. I've had the luck to experience many different cuisines, but am still searching for more.

I still think those "old folks want meat and veggies cooked to death, can't tolerate a lot of salt (salt is the most important flavoring agent, IMO), aren't interested in new to them dishes or ingredients, can't tolerate spices, and are generally unrewarding to attempt to cook for" were always like that. Nothing to do with age really.

But, I'd be fascinated to hear other takes and thoughts to brighten up my dotage

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is inspired by a side comment on this topic around here.

The comment referred to the age of diners at a social gathering

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The old folks want meat and veggies cooked to death, can't tolerate a lot of salt (salt is the most important flavoring agent, IMO), aren't interested in new to them dishes or ingredients, can't tolerate spices, and are generally unrewarding to attempt to cook for.

I replied that the old folks @Thanks for the Crepes knows must be different to those I know. Crepes took this to be self referential! I wasn't talking about me, a mere boy approaching his prime! I was, of course, referring to those much older, either in years or outlook.

What I should have clarified (although that would have distracted from the topic's purpose), is that in my experience, the elderly I know do not fit that description at all. Sure, many people tend to become more conservative as they age, but being conservative means sticking with the foods you grew up on or enjoyed in earlier times. I don't see them seeking "cooked to death" or saltless and spiceless etc. If they are accustomed to salty, spicy foods in earlier life they still will be. My 88-year old mother will still berate you if you don't season properly!

In fact, I tend to see the younger generations being more boring. My granddaughters regularly horrify me with Facebook tales of the garbage they eat for preference. I also meet a number of young people here who profess not to like "spicy", while their parents add more chili pepper. Maybe I just know strange people, but I suspect not.

As for me, as I gracefully sink into the sunset, I become more adventurous. I've had the luck to experience many different cuisines, but am still searching for more.

I still thing those "old folks want meat and veggies cooked to death, can't tolerate a lot of salt (salt is the most important flavoring agent, IMO), aren't interested in new to them dishes or ingredients, can't tolerate spices, and are generally unrewarding to attempt to cook for" were always like that. Nothing to do with age really.

But, I'd be fascinated to hear other takes and thoughts to brighten up my dotage