• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

54 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, I don't mean to put into the sous vide with the rub on, but to put the rub on when the sous vide is complete. Dry off the meat and roll it in the rub. Then I guess one would need to sauté or broil the meat for less than a minute. Sound reasonable or no?

OK I don't think you were very clear. I have done baby back ribs using a rub after they came out of the Sous Vide, broiled them and then finished them with a sauce. Seemed to work out reasonably well.  For something that has had a very long cook time I don't see any reason to rush the sear as you would for instance for a steak.   But then I don't know how long you plan to cook them for.

Anna N

Anna N

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, I don't mean to put into the sous vide with the rub on, but to put the rub on when the sous vide is complete. Dry off the meat and roll it in the rub. Then I guess one would need to sauté or broil the meat for less than a minute. Sound reasonable or no?

OK I don't think you were very clear. I have done baby back ribs using a rub after they came out of the Sous Vide, broiled them and then finished them with a sauce. Seemed to work out reasonably well.  For something that is had a very long time I don't see any reason to rush the sear  as you would for instance for a steak.   But then I don't know how long you plan to cook them for.