• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

11 hours ago, torolover said:

I figured since the meats have already been at 165F and 180F in the past, reheating them close to that temp shouldn't matter for moisture lost.  Am I wrong?

I don't like to say it, but I think you may be wrong.  It's a different sort of heat - a dry-heat evaporating one.

If you take meat from the fridge at 39 degrees F and put it in an oven at 400 F, it's going to take a long time for the middle to get to 150.  In the meantime, the outside of the is going to get well beyond 150.

You've just undone your sous vide.

Instead, I think you need to forget about the 150 F internal goal.  130 should be fine for properly pasteurized (via sous vide), properly chilled meat.  You're probably looking for some Maillard reaction, which is good, but do it as quickly as possible with high heat of some sort. Perhaps direct flame, a hot grill, or an oven set at 550.

IndyRob

IndyRob

11 hours ago, torolover said:

I figured since the meats have already been at 165F and 180F in the past, reheating them close to that temp shouldn't matter for moisture lost.  Am I wrong?

I don't like to say it, but I think you may be wrong.  It's a different sort of heat - a dry-heat evaporating one.

If you take meat from the fridge at 39 degrees F and put it in an oven at 400 F, it's going to take a long time for the middle to get to 150.  In the meantime, the outside of the is going to get well beyond 150.

You've just undone your sous vide.

Instead, I think you need to forget about the 150 F internal goal.  130 should be fine for properly pasteurized (via sous vide), properly chilled meat.  You're probably looking for some Maillard reaction, which is good, but do it as quickly as possible with high heat of some sort. Perhaps direct flame, a hot grill, or an oven set at 550.