• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

...can it be considered organic?

No.
"Organic" nutrients may be used by some who grow hydroponically, but, IMHO, that's not "organic" gardening or farming. 
 I agree with the quote above: “organic production should take place in soil.”

What's MUCH more important to me than possible better nutrition or the non-use or limited use of disease or pest controls (prevention being key) is the wealth-building AKA soil-building aspect of 'organic' gardening or farming.

I view conventional gardening/farming vs. organic gardening/farming as I view a checking account vs. a savings account...

Conventional being the checking account...lets call it checkbook gardening....you make deposits and withdrawals on a never ending and more frequent basis...deposit and withdrawal...deposit and withdrawal...never really gaining anything, your always depend on deposit and withdrawal...eventually overdrawing.. leading to penalties and the need greater deposits...on and on...always dependent on more and more purchased inputs (chemical fertilizers, pesticides and the like.)

'Organic' is more like a savings account drawing interest..lets call it savings account gardening.....sometimes a bit slower to start...but with a small investment and occasional deposits you draw interest...more and more all the time....building long term fertility and soil health to the point where the need for inputs becomes minimal, yet, you earn more and more interest. Building wealth.

What could make more sense?

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

40 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

...can it be considered organic?

No.
"Organic" nutrients may be used by some who grow hydroponically, but, IMHO, that's not "organic" gardening or farming. 
 I agree with the quote above: “organic production should take place in soil.”

What's MUCH more important to me than possible better nutrition or the non-use or limited use of disease or pest controls (prevention being key) is the wealth-building AKA soil-building aspect of 'organic' gardening or farming.

I view conventional gardening/farming vs. organic gardening/farming as I view a checking account vs. a savings account...

Conventional being the checking account...lets call it checkbook gardening....you make deposits and withdrawals on a never ending and more frequent basis...deposit and withdrawal...deposit and withdrawal...never really gaining anything, your always depend on deposit and withdrawal...eventually overdrawing.. leading to penalties and the need greater deposits...on and on...always dependent on more and more purchased inputs (chemical fertilizers, pesticides and the like.)

'Organic' is more like a savings account drawing interest..lets call it savings account gardening.....sometimes a bit slower to start...but with a small investment and occasional deposits you draw interest...more and more all the time....building long term fertility and soil health to the point where the need for inputs becomes minimal, yet, you earn more and more interest.....reducing inputs.

What could make more sense?