• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

Added a thought

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, ElsieD said:

I made these tonight and had a problem with the dough (batter?)   It was of a pourable nature which I didn't think was right. I added about another 1/3   cup each of cornmeal and flour and while the batter was still quite wet, I managed to have it hold together long enough to hit the pot.  They are very good, but I'm wondering  how loose the batter is supposed to be?  I have never made these before so have no idea what it should get like.   I should add that the extra cornmeal and flour were added to half the recipe.

20161119_192049.jpg

They sure do look good.  My apologies that the recipe didn't work perfectly for you without some adjustment.  I guess  I'm used to making adjustments as I go along, not always ending up with the recipe as written.  Variations in kitchens, ingredients, tools such as measuring devices, etc., can have an effect on the final proportions. It's not unusual to make  a recipe a few times before it's just "perfect" for me.  I hope you'll continue to refine this recipe for your taste and situation ... it's worth it, IMO.  What cornmeal and grind did you use?

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, ElsieD said:

I made these tonight and had a problem with the dough (batter?)   It was of a pourable nature which I didn't think was right. I added about another 1/3   cup each of cornmeal and flour and while the batter was still quite wet, I managed to have it hold together long enough to hit the pot.  They are very good, but I'm wondering  how loose the batter is supposed to be?  I have never made these before so have no idea what it should get like.   I should add that the extra cornmeal and flour were added to half the recipe.

20161119_192049.jpg

They sure do look good.  My apologies that the recipe didn't work perfectly for you without some adjustment.  I guess  I'm used to making adjustments as I go along, not always ending up with the recipe as written.  Variations in kitchens, ingredients, tools such as measuring devices, etc., can have an effect on the final proportions. It's not unusual to make  a recipe a few times before it's just "perfect" for me.  I hope you'll continue to refine this recipe for your taste and situation ... it's worth it, IMO.