• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Baste. I suspect this is the more generally accepted meaning for most of us. I would consider covering it with the lid as steaming. But as always to each their own. 

It's merely a (if not the) common term for these covers.  Sort of like calling a rondeau a brazier.  The definition of "braise" doesn't really enter into it.

Guy goes into a resto supply store...  "Gimmee a couple of those whatchamacallits that you throw over eggs."  "You mean basting covers?  Right this way."

boilsover

boilsover

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Baste. I suspect this is the more generally accepted meaning for most of us. I would consider covering it with the lid as steaming. But as always to each their own. 

It's merely a (if not the) common term for these covers.  Sort of like calling a rondeau a brazier.

Guy goes into a resto supply store...  "Gimmee a couple of those whatchamacallits that you throw over eggs."  "You mean basting covers?  Right this way."