• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

lost part of post and failed to recreate it

On 5/19/2016 at 10:09 AM, Hrothgar said:

I wonder if the Thanks for the crepes writer could share that recipe also.

There are many recipes for cheesecakes cooked without a water bath, and here's a favorite. It comes from my 1997 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker.

Cheesecake Cocaigne

They recommend a graham cracker crust. Since I'm not a big graham cracker fan, I usually go with a shortbread or chocolate or vanilla wafer crumb crust. I will blind bake all of these to toastiness first. They call for a 10 inch springform or cake pan.

You want to preheat your oven to 300 F.

In a mixing bowl, beat until creamy, and this'll take about half a minute

1-1/2 pounds cream cheese (I use Neufchatel, with good results)

Beat in incrementally

1 c sugar (I reduce)

1 t vanilla or 1/4 t almond extract

Beat in one at a time

3 large eggs

Spoon batter into your pan with the crust and level out. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 45-55 minutes until the center is still a little jiggly when the pan is tapped. Let cool on a rack for at least an hour.

They call for a very vanilla sweetened sour cream topping. I never use it, opting for lightly sweetened berries in season or frozen in winter. I can't vouch for the sour cream topping, but here it is.

1 c sour cream

1/4 c sugar

1 T vanilla (yes, 1 Tablespoon!)

1/8 t salt

Cover and refrigerate minimum 3 hours, and preferably 24 hours before service.

It really couldn't get much simpler, but man, this is good!

Edit: Oops! I lost the first post where I said they call for all ingredients for the batter at room temp. I do this by taking out the cream cheese and placing it on a heat sink like my metal stove top in its wrapper well before I get ready to prepare the batter. This can also be done in the microwave gently at low power, but don't leave it in its metallic wrapper like I did once. I thought it was silver plastic because it is so flexible, but it has enough metal content to cause arcs in a microwave.

I take the eggs and place in a pitcher of warm water in their shells.

20 hours ago, Hrothgar said:

I wonder if the Thanks for the crepes writer could share that recipe also.

There are many recipes for cheesecakes cooked without a water bath, and here's a favorite. It comes from my 1997 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker.

Cheesecake Cocaigne

They recommend a graham cracker crust. Since I'm not a big graham cracker fan, I usually go with a shortbread or chocolate or vanilla wafer crumb crust. I will blind bake all of these to toastiness first. They call for a 10 inch springform or cake pan.

You want to preheat your oven to 300 F.

In a mixing bowl, beat until creamy, and this'll take about half a minute

1-1/2 pounds cream cheese (I use Neufchatel, with good results)

Beat in incrementally

1 c sugar (I reduce)

1 t vanilla or 1/4 t almond extract

Beat in one at a time

3 large eggs

Spoon batter into your pan with the crust and level out. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 45-55 minutes until the center is still a little jiggly when the pan is tapped. Let cool on a rack for at least an hour.

They call for a very vanilla sweetened sour cream topping. I never use it, opting for lightly sweetened berries in season or frozen in winter. I can't vouch for the sour cream topping, but here it is.

1 c sour cream

1/4 c sugar

1 T vanilla (yes, 1 Tablespoon!)

1/8 t salt

Cover and refrigerate minimum 3 hours, and preferably 24 hours before service.

It really couldn't get much simpler, but man, this is good!