• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I went to Bass Pro today to look at sausage stuffers and what I saw was a stainless steel version of a cast iron antique I got decades ago at a yard sale.  Because it had a perforated liner, I thought it was an apple cider press but the liner comes out and there are two plates that screw on to the crankshaft. One that fits inside the liner and one larger on that is for ground meat.  The problem is that the collet (or whatever it is you call it) is missing. That is the part that fits over the spout and locks the feeder tubes on.  I originally bought it for its decorative  potential but instead it has been moved from one garage to another as I moved from place to place.  The same size stainless one at Bass Pro has all the parts and I trust stainless more than this old thing but still it's fun to realize this thing has more than one purpose. 

DSCN3437_zpsgwaercdf.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I went to Bass Pro today to look at sausage stuffers and what I saw was a stainless steel version of an antique cast iron antique I got decades ago at a yard sale.  Because it had a perforated liner, I thought it was an apple cider press but the liner comes out and there are two plates that screw on to the crankshaft. One that fits inside the liner and one larger on that is for ground meat.  The problem is that the collet (or whatever it is you call it) is missing. That is the part that fits over the spout and locks the feeder tubes on.  I originally bought it for its decorative  potential but instead it has been moved from one garage to another as I moved from place to place.  The same size stainless one at Bass Pro has all the parts and I trust stainless more than this old thing but still it's fun to realize this thing has more than one purpose. 

DSCN3437_zpsgwaercdf.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I went to Bass Pro today to look at sausage stuffers and what I saw was a stainless steel version of an antique cast iron antique I got decades ago at a yard sale.  Because it had a perforated liner, I thought it was an apple cider press but the liner comes out and there are two plates that screw on to the crankshaft. One that fits inside the liner and one larger on that is for ground meat.  The problem is that the collet (or whatever it is you call it) is missing. That is the part that fits over the spout and locks the feeder tubes on.  I originally bought it for its decorative  potential but instead it has been moved from one garage to another as I moved from one place to another.  The same size stainless one at Bass Pro has all the parts and I trust stainless more than this old thing but still it's fun to realize this thing has more than one purpose. 

DSCN3437_zpsgwaercdf.jpg