• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, kbjesq said:

I'm wondering why fish that I've just caught myself (Spanish mackerel) often has that *fishy* odor? It's one of the reasons why I can't stomach it. As soon as you land it in the boat, it stinks! The only other fish that I've noticed this with is barracuda, but we throw those back anyhow so I never have to think about eating them. But what is it that makes Spanish mackerel so stinky? They stink even when they are still alive. It's very odd. Maybe it's a defense mechanism? If so, it's working well with me. 

Mackerel certainly does have its own pong, although I don't feel it's the same smell as that coming from stale, on the turn fish. Instead of smelling 'fishy', it smells 'makerel-y'.

The "defense mechanism", if that is what it is, doesn't work with me. Mackerel is a favorite,

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, kbjesq said:

I'm wondering why fish that I've just caught myself (Spanish mackerel) often has that *fishy* odor? It's one of the reasons why I can't stomach it. As soon as you land it in the boat, it stinks! The only other fish that I've noticed this with is barracuda, but we throw those back anyhow so I never have to think about eating them. But what is it that makes Spanish mackerel so stinky? They stink even when they are still alive. It's very odd. Maybe it's a defense mechanism? If so, it's working well with me. 

Mackerel certainly does have its own pong, although I don't feel it's the same smell as that coming from stale, on the turn fish. The "defense mechanism", if that is what it is, doesn't work with me. Mackerel is a favorite,