• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled cod fillet?

KennethT

Has anyone ever grilled a fillet of cod (without the skin) without a grill basket or anything?  I was planning on grilling some mahi mahi to have with a mango som tum, but it turned out that I don't have enough of it, so I defrosted a couple of pieces of cod.  Thinking about it now, I'm wondering if it's just going to fall apart completely on me and that maybe I should rethink this a bit...  maybe wrap in banana leaves prior to grilling?  If it matters, it's indoor grilling on a grill pan.

If you keep banana leaves on hand I'd go that route.  Adds flavor and eliminates a mess if it falls apart. Alternately if no leaves - foil but open so it does not just steam. I sometimes just crinkle up foil and lay fish on top and broil so I get grill effect but don't lose half the fish.

Do you have some bacon on hand? I use Speck, even with skin on. Easier to turn and the Speck holds the flesh in place. It shouldn't be cooked too long anyhow. Cod tends to flake easily.

jnqvb1u.jpg

rPZGA3e.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1