• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I will say, since this thread I've used my Mixteca pot directly on the flame twice with no diffuser, and while I'm still anxious about the way it's a little wobbly on the grate, I've been astonished at how much faster the beans come to a boil.  With the diffuser, I did often have the feeling that the beans took a weirdly long time to cook.  I was definitely cautious with the heat, though, probably letting it stay on low for longer than necessary.  

Also, for what it's worth -- I did a long-form cure of the pot when I first got it.  I appreciate that Rancho has reported that it's not necessary with this pot, and I'm not trying to argue with anyone on the meaning or the science; but for whatever it's worth, that clay on mines was *dry*

SLB

SLB

I will say, since this thread I've used my Mixteca pot directly on the flame twice with no diffuser, and while I'm still anxious about the way it's a little wobbly on the grate, I've been astonished at how much faster the beans come to a boil.  With the diffuser, I did often have the feeling that the beans took a weirdly long time to cook.  I was definitely cautious with the heat, though, probably letting it stay on low for longer than necessary.  

Also, for what it's worth -- I did a long-form cure of the pot when I first got it.  I appreciate that Rancho has reported that's not necessary with this pot, and I'm not trying to argue with anyone on the meaning or the science; but for whatever it's worth, that clay on mines was *dry*