• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malt syrup

shain

Hello all,

I got a large bottle of dark malt syrup in my fridge. It is commonly used in making of dark beer. It has a slightly sweet yet savory flavor with strong nutty roasted smokiness (every time I taste it I'm reminded of campfire roasted potatoes) and obvious maltiness. I use it a lot when baking breads, as it gives great subtle flavor (and also slightly darker color). Many people use beer in dough for similar effect, but the syrup is cheaper and more convenient.

I'm sure it can be used to great results in many other savory and sweet applications, and I'd like to hear your ideas!

I used it once in hamburgers, but since they were grilled the malt wasn't noticeable.

~ Shai N.

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2015 at 11:43 PM, Indy D said:

Dave Arnold mentioned that he adds it to his mashed potatoes during his podcast "Cooking Issues". I keep forgetting to try it myself, but sounds delicious. 

It took me a while to get to it, but this evening I added malt to some baked mashed potatoes gratin and it's absolutely amazing, it works really well, giving it a pleasant roasted flavor. It also naked the potatoes brown nicely when baked. However, it does give the non browned mash a slightly grayish color.

You should try it.

I used 2 tbsp of dark malt syrup for 3 large potatoes (600g)

~ Shai N.