• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sorbitol and Lecithin

pastryani

Hi P&B folks... I find myself posting a lot here - this group holds a wealth of knowledge and folks are very helpful, but if there's a limit on # of questions, please do let me know (I'm still a newb and want to be respectful of posting etiquette). :)

1. Is there a specific conversion to get from powdered sorbitol to liquid sorbitol? (I'd guess the liquid to be water, so what's the ratio of powdered sorbitol to water?)

2. "Sorbitol paste" is (apparently) an emulsifier. Can this be made out of powdered sorbitol? And would anyone know if liquid lecithin could be used instead? If so, is it an equal swap? Thanks!

Comparing a recipe for caramel with both lecithin and with sorbitol paste - it looks like about 5X as much sorbitol paste is used vs lecithin.  

From my reading it appears that "To substitute powdered sorbitol for liquid sorbitol, use 70% powder sorbitol and 30% water."