• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maison Novelli Status

It looked open when I walked past just before Christmas.

As for Brockett Hall - 6 course tasting menu £85!!!! I have always meant to get around to eating at a Novelli establishment, but £85 for 6 courses at an unstarred restaurant!!!!! The wine list seems somewhat limited at the lower end, very little for under £35.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Maybe it was Sunday night when I drove past. A couple of years ago I enjoyed several meals both at Maison Novelli and the (slightly) cheaper brasserie next door. I especially remember an excellent version of Koffmans Pied de Cochon (acknowledged) and Novelli's trademark desserts with all those wild strands of caramel.

Then the brasserie disappeared and prices at the main restaurant shot up. If its still going what are the prices like now?

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Novelli is now chef at Brocket Hall, but the city restaurant was meant to be staying open. perhpas plans have changed.

Andy -- Zagat notes the following: "Auberge du Lac at Brocket Hall: Former Maison Novelli chef Jean-Christophe Novelli has been appointed chef patron."

Note the reference to "chef patron", denoting some potential ownership or other "upside" interest. Does Novelli have that, to your knowledge? :blink:

Note the reference to "chef patron", denoting some potential ownership or other "upside" interest.  Does Novelli have that, to your knowledge?  :blink:

Don't think there's any major holding.

The article in this wk's Restaurant mag seems to imply he's an employ; words to the effect of "they chose me out of their shortlist of four cos they thought i was the cheapest on the list"

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I think I e mailed Clifford Mould a while ago about eGullet but haven't spotted him (he may well lurk I suppose). I used to visit dineonline quite regularly, but it seemed for a while to have only press releases rather than reviews or reports, so this appears to be an exception.