• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington State Liquor

be thankful you have the washington LCB.

In Pennsylvania, the liquor stores are state owned and run. Prices are the highest among the Northeastern states, and clerks are unionized state employees. Most stores are NOT self service. You take a number and wait for a clerk to return from break.

Stores are closed on Sunday, and many are closed after 7 pm during the week.

Here in NJ, Costco sells beer, wine, and liquor. Usually at the state minimum price. A $25 bottle of Jack Daniels will be $19.50 - $20, etc.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

This sounds pretty similar to what we have here.

The workers are government employees who are charged with distributing and controlling the liquor distribution. They seem to care less about liquor and I have never seen any of them excited about any product they are selling.

We dont have the take a number racket and for that I am thankful! Phew!

Our stores are closed on sunday too and have strange hours on top of that.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

In Pennsylvania, the liquor stores are state owned and run. Prices are the highest among the Northeastern states, and clerks are unionized state employees. Most stores are NOT self service. You take a number and wait for a clerk to return from break.

I may be wrong about this, but I seem to remember back in the '50's going into liquor stores in VT and NH with my father and there was a large board on the wall listing the various spirits with a number beside each. You'd write down the numbers of what you wanted on a small order form and present it to the person behind the counter who would then go in back and retrieve your order. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it was this way in Maine not all that long ago. Does anyone else remember this, or have I slipped a cog?

(These were all state liqour stores.)