• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aluminum thickness in disk bottomed stainless steel - master list

Zachary Sokoloff

I've been reading through the 'Understanding Stovetop Cookware' class (a few times) as well as much of the two q+a threads, and thought it would be useful to create a master list of the aluminum thickness in various disk bottomed pots/pans. While the aluminum thickness of many of the best-in-class lines like Sitram Profiserie and Paderno Grand Gourmet are fairly easy to find, others are more scattered throughout the topic, or are mentioned in other threads. A master list would also be extremely useful for those of us trying to navigate non-top-tier merchandise, whether it be because we generally can't afford a set or piece at that cost, or because our spending priorities are focused on another piece (like a Falk copper 28 cm saucier that completes your life while simultaneously bankrupting you and baffling your friends/boyfriends/cats).

This list need not be exhaustive. The point is to list the thickness of the best, those that are close, and in particular to narrow down who to go for when you're on a budget or you see a deal. Which means commerical lines are very welcome (Vollrath Intrigue has a 6.35 mm base). I think dating the information will be useful as well, since as trawling an 11 year topic and taking notes has taught me these things are not static. Finally geography plays a role too, as I've learned being a Canadian and dealing with the absence of some lines mentioned here (try finding Paderno Grand Gourmet) and the presence of others.

So here are the criteria I propose:

Name of the line/brand

Thickness of the aluminum in the base

Source of the information

Link to the source

Date of the source

Geographic information, if relevant

Anything else you think is important

With luck and some collaboration I'm hoping we can compile an up-to-date compendium of top notch and best-bang-for-your-buck options.

Giddy up, gentlemen.

Edited by Zachary Sokoloff (log)

Is thickness of aluminum the only criteria?

How many pliers/layers?

Because the difference of metal's thermal expansion coefficient, I would assume the thickness of each layer of metal is carefully designed to minimize warping, in addition to thermal conductivity,

dcarch 

I'm noticing you have to be careful when talking to company reps with the numbers they give you - in two different instances a rep gave me a thickness of the combined stainless steel and aluminum, and it took work to get the aluminum-only thickness.

Paderno 1100 Series Grand Gourmet - 7 mm.   Verified by e-mail with World-Cuisine rep, and double checked with Bridge Kitchenware (2014).  

Sitram Profiserie - 5 mm, as per their web site (2014).

http://frieling.com/product/profiserie

Paderno Chef's Choice (Updated) - 5 mm (2014) via the same rep.  The 6 mm thickness I mentioned above included the stainless steel.

Paderno - all of the following have 4.5 mm according to a rep (2014) - these lines are widely available in Canada, and I'm unsure about US availability.

Cusino

Commercial

SteelEternity

UltraCuisine

ProGourmet

Epicurean

Muskoka

Pro-Copper

Is thickness of aluminum the only criteria?

How many pliers/layers?

Because the difference of metal's thermal expansion coefficient, I would assume the thickness of each layer of metal is carefully designed to minimize warping, in addition to thermal conductivity,

dcarch 

Howdy dcarch - I didn't mean to imply that at all, no.  I do think having the thickness measurements updated and assembled in one place would be useful though, based on what I've gathered from the 'Understanding Stovetop Cookware' class and the two Q+A threads linked to it.  The authour of the class is more concerned with thickness than with plies/layers, but I'm open to anything you have to add to that conversation.

Here's what I'm referring to:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/25718-qa-understanding-stovetop-cookware/page-11#entry809491

The reason for Clad cookware is to take advantage of the durability of stainless steel and thermal conductivity of aluminum or copper. I suppose the multi-layer cladding is to offset differential thermal expansion of dissimilar metals to minimize warping.

I think it is more important to consider conductivity than thickness of aluminum for a cookware.

Perhaps the following test can be useful:

Soak pan in 32F ice water until pan reaches 32F.

Put pan on boiling 212F water immediately and using an IR remote read thermometer and measure how long it takes for the pan to get up to 212F.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

dcarch I think we're on the same page here on conductivity.  The Understanding Stovetop Cookware class explores all of this in detail.  Thermal conductivity is absolutely important, and so is the heat capacity of different materials.  What a person wants from pan to pan varies, but with something like a saute pan a high heat capacity is important.  The most useful metric is thermal diffusivity, which quantifies the relationship between a material's thermal conductivity and its specific heat.  One example given in the class is two saute pans, otherwise equal, one with a 2.5 mm copper base and the other with a 7 mm aluminum base.  The aluminum base has almost twice the heat capacity, meaning the (cheaper) aluminum base in certain instances becomes the better buy, since copper is more expensive.  This is where the thickness of an aluminum base comes in as a useful metric once you've decided that you want a disk bottomed pan.  It's not the only metric of consequence, but I think it's significant.

I've...thought it would be useful to create a master list of the aluminum thickness in various disk bottomed pots/pans. While the aluminum thickness of many of the best-in-class lines like Sitram Profiserie and Paderno Grand Gourmet are fairly easy to find, others are more scattered throughout the topic, or are mentioned in other threads. ..

With luck and some collaboration I'm hoping we can compile an up-to-date compendium of top notch and best-bang-for-your-buck options.

Hi, Zachary:

I think this would be really useful.  But I also suggest that you broaden the base to include all constructions.  Parameters something like this:

Name of the line/brand

Construction (# of layers)

Thickness of aluminum and/or copper

Thickness of steel cladding, middle layers and base

Photo of cutaway

Source of the information

Link to the source

Date of the source

You'll find some verry useful thickness data here:  and here: http://www.centurylife.org/2013/10/23/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/  Actually, all the articles on CenturyLife by Franz are quite valuable:  http://www.centurylife.org/category/howtoguides/choose-cookware/

If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way in this thread, http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/986216#9218272 you'll also find some astute thickness sleuthing.

Don't forget Silgit, Fissler, Berndes and Rosle when you make your list.  They all make great stuff!

Cheers!

Edited by boilsover (log)