• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rabbit casserole sous vide

froggiechef

Rabbit casse­role sous-vide!!! Rabbit seems to be the black beast of mol­e­c­u­lar cook­ing!! every­body online seems to let you know that you get mushy tex­ture if cook for to long ? Can‚’t find water bath timetable and temperature table guidance online for that won­der­full piece of meat ”le lapin”. Any advice from you guys on how to get it tex­tureright ? I am plan­ning to do my mother’s recipe "le lapin, moutarde and mushroom casserole‚" Is it dangerous to cook mushrooms or cream below 70°c for long hours ? Many thanks

Rabbit seems to be the black beast of mol­e­c­u­lar cook­ing!!
every­body online seems to let you know that you get mushy tex­ture if cook for to long ?

You a right about that! The reason is that cooking a gamey meat sous vide can have enzymatic issues that lead to that mushy texture. If you cook it at hotter-than-core cooking (see below for the loin example) it will speed up the cooking time and that should help.

Can‚’t find water bath timetable and tem­per­a­ture table guidance online for that won­der­full piece of meat "le lapin".
Any advice from you guys on how to get it texture right ?

You will want to cook the rabbit loin and shoulder separately. For the loin, our favorite way to cook it sous vide is to cook it in a 72 °C / 162 °F bath until it reaches a core temperature of 59 °C / 138 °F (keep your probe thermometer in in order to check the core temperature periodically). This is for a pink coloring. For a shoulder, cook it in a sous vide bath at 66 °C / 151 °F, and hold the temperature for about an hour.The texture will be tender and flaky.

I am plan­ning to do my mother’s recipe "le lapin , moutarde and mush­room casse­role"
Is it dan­ger­ous to cook mush­rooms or cream below 70°c for longhours ?

No, that is fine.