• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What tools can a high-powered blender (Vita-Mix, Blendtec) replace

Kent Wang

I have a Vita-Mix Total Nutrition Center and I love it, mostly using it for smoothies.

Instead of buying even more expensive, space-hogging tools, can I use my blender instead?

I used to own a Phillips centrifugal juicer and I find the blender can do a similar job crushing the ingredients, though of course it can't apply the G forces to strain it, but a cheesecloth, Superbag, or polypropylene bag works decently enough. It's slower and not as effective at straining, but then it's easier to clean than a juicer.

Can it replace an immersion blender or electric beater for whipping eggs? I tried it once for making egg nog and it didn't seem to get the eggs very frothy—I guess the blades are not very effective at incorporating air. You also have to make sure the blades don't cook the eggs.

Can it crush ice for cocktails? Crushed, like for mint juleps or tiki drinks, not smoothie consistency.

It is possible to mix dough in a blender though it will put strain on the blender so is not recommended. But if you don't mind risking your blender, it has some advantages (such as time saving and being able to use low protein flour).

Besides using my Vitamix for various smoothies, had no problem making peanut butter, grinding coffee beans, corn kernels, and meat.

Quality of ice depends on how long you blend it.

I use my immersion blender because it's easier for one pot meals.......less to clean up, transfer from one vessel to another, etc.

Never saw a appliance that does everything expertly, but the Vitamix is quite the machine.

If you visit the Vitamix website they have an extensive listing of recipes. It appears to be the on-line version of the Recipe Book that came with my machine. There are recipes for things like brown rice pie crust; apricot breakfast bread, etc. I would be comfortable using their tested recipes for doughs.

If you visit the Vitamix website they have an extensive listing of recipes. It appears to be the on-line version of the Recipe Book that came with my machine. There are recipes for things like brown rice pie crust; apricot breakfast bread, etc. I would be comfortable using their tested recipes for doughs.

Just had a look at: https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/P/I/Pizza

Their pizza dough recipe looks good actually. Notice they only pulse the blender when mixing the dough though. Seriously, i am going to try this because that photo of the pizza looks just so good!

Is nobody going to mention 'will it blend' on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFP0IU4gpnmcLnVzDLUtfw)? - Mostly, their use of the blender is not culinary but it think they (famously) did a roast chicken with cola and also the big mac meal smoothie?

Edited by Chelseabun (log)

I think a general plethora of electrical kitchen tools is pretty much unavoidable. It is a nuisance storing everything though. My storage space is so limited but I have a love of kitchen gadgets. I have gone the route of using only a small blender and in the past, I used a stick blender only. So probably it might be better to have a stick blender to replace the vitamix/blendtech than the other way around.

• 1 month later...