• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

I put a new edge on this knife this week and we tried it with cheese this morning. I was not happy with the new edge when I did it and it did prove acceptable but not great for the cheese slicing. I will rework the new edge this coming week and hopefully will get a sharper edge. I had a difficult time creating an even burr the length of the edge. EdgePro 220 stone for the burr followed by their "medium" and finished with an EdgePro 600 stone. I am still happy I picked up this knife.

The thing with cheese knives is you need something to break the contact between the cheese and the blade above the cutting edge.  Some have barley perceptible striations vertically in the blade.

The Wusthoff blades are engraved in a cross-hatch pattern you can see in my photo.

I really think your knife is a pizza cutter but if you want to use it for cheeses, I suggest you take a very fine grit flat Dremel wheel and made parallel vertical strokes on both sides of the blade beginning about 3/16 of an inch above the cutting edge which will give you the same effect as a "granton" blade.  

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.22.29 PM.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I put a new edge on this knife this week and we tried it with cheese this morning. I was not happy with the new edge when I did it and it did prove acceptable but not great for the cheese slicing. I will rework the new edge this coming week and hopefully will get a sharper edge. I had a difficult time creating an even burr the length of the edge. EdgePro 220 stone for the burr followed by their "medium" and finished with an EdgePro 600 stone. I am still happy I picked up this knife.

The thing with cheese knives is you need something to break the contact between the cheese and the blade above the cutting edge.  Some have barley perceptible striations vertically in the blade.

The Wusthoff blades are engraved in a cross-hatch pattern you can see in my photo.

I really think your knife is a pizza cutter but if you want to use it for cheeses, I suggest you take a very fine grit flat Dremel wheel and made parallel vertical strokes on both sides of the blade beginning about 3/16 of an inch above the cutting edge which will give you the same effect a "granton" blade.  

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.22.29 PM.png