• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping Wish List for New Zealanders

(Note to the mods: I think this might be the best forum for this to be, as these qualify as "hard to find ingredients" depending on locality, but please move it as necessary.)

I've noticed over the course of about a year that there are several ingredients that are commonly available in the US, and referenced in books like Modernist Cuisine (and the At Home version), but aren't available internationally. Most recently, Wondra flour has come up. So, I wanted to start a thread where we could compile a sort of wish-list for people, and potentially work out some kind of system where I can just go to the grocers and pick up a bunch of this stuff, and ship it to you guys. Yeah, it's going to take a little coordination, and I will have to double check guidelines for shipping and packaging some of this stuff (several kilos of white powder? Yeah, customs is gonna' notice...)

I will periodically go through this thread and try to compile a master list here.

(One quick edit: There is a lot of regional variability within the US as to availability of some products. I'm in Arizona, and will get what I can, but some things are just not to be found here in the desert southwest! Perhaps we can find a few others in the US that can help out?)

What do you wish you could find?

So far:

Wondra flour

Edited by Dexter (log)

Just FYI guys, there is an Australia & NZ subforum here: http://forums.egulle...ia-new-zealand/

The header there reads: "Ingredients, recipes, sources, and techniques for the cooking and baking of Australia & New Zealand."

There are already a number of discussions there about where to source ingredients (in Australia). I am sure a mod will come along and move this thread very soon.

Yeah, I saw that one, but given that it's actually American ingredients being shipped from the US, I was unsure as to where exactly to put this. Given that this particular subforums description included "Hard to find ingredients" I thought it was a pseudo-fit. But, I'm sure you are right - the mods are pretty good about keeping things sorted.

(Note to the mods: I think this might be the best forum for this to be, as these qualify as "hard to find ingredients" depending on locality, but please move it as necessary.)

I've noticed over the course of about a year that there are several ingredients that are commonly available in the US, and referenced in books like Modernist Cuisine (and the At Home version), but aren't available internationally. Most recently, Wondra flour has come up. So, I wanted to start a thread where we could compile a sort of wish-list for people, and potentially work out some kind of system where I can just go to the grocers and pick up a bunch of this stuff, and ship it to you guys. Yeah, it's going to take a little coordination, and I will have to double check guidelines for shipping and packaging some of this stuff (several kilos of white powder? Yeah, customs is gonna' notice...)

I will periodically go through this thread and try to compile a master list here.

(One quick edit: There is a lot of regional variability within the US as to availability of some products. I'm in Arizona, and will get what I can, but some things are just not to be found here in the desert southwest! Perhaps we can find a few others in the US that can help out?)

What do you wish you could find?

So far:

Wondra flour

That is so generous Dexter, thank you.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hey all.

I just heard back from the NZ customs people, and here are their rules.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Food imported for private consumption

Prior to importing food to New Zealand, people should check the Biosecurity New Zealand requirements for the foods they intend to import. MPI (Food Safety) does not have an interest in most foods imported into New Zealand for private consumption. Personal food imports are consumed at the importers own risk. It is illegal to sell a personal import that is also a Prescribed Food.

Imports for personal use may be captured by Customs as part of the import entry process. If the food is a Prescribed Food, the consignment may need to be assessed by CCH on a case-by-case basis as to whether it is being imported for personal use.

As a guideline, the following amounts are considered by MPI (Food Safety) as appropriate for personal use:

* For food in liquid form: up to 10 Litres.

* For food not in liquid form: up to 10 Kilograms.

* For concentrated liquid food (however packed), which are used in the preparation of other food or are not usually consumed unless as part of a prepared food: not more than 2 Litres e.g., fruit juice concentrate.

* For moisture reduced food (however packed), other than liquid food, which are used in the preparation of other food or are not usually consumed unless as part of a prepared food: not more than 2 Kilograms net weight e.g., a powdered drink base, etc.

* For spices (however packed) which are used in the preparation of other food or are not usually consumed unless as part of a prepared food: not more than 1 Kilogram.

For more information check out:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/mail

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

Please call 0800 008 333 for further information.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this for anyone that is still interested. I just got back from the grocers, and a 382g (13.5 oz) can of Wondra flour cost me just under $4.00, and has a shelf ("Better if used by") life of about 7 months (9 May 2013).