• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Various Thai and Malaysian 'curry pastes': your views?

rotuts

in the Sous Vide thread a while back I asked about the Maesri Thai curry pastes which were easy for me to get locally in the Boston area in small cans

I enjoyed using them with Chicken Breasts with added coconut milk SV as a starting point to have 'thai' curries readily available in the refrigerator or freezer.

People kindly suggested that the Mae Ploy brand in plastic tubs might have a more interesting flavor. They are difficult to find here, but Ive located two styles. Ive also located almost all of the Maesri pastes in those same plastic tubs

Is there the feeling that the tubs offer a different 'processing' technique that would result in an improved flavor or is this just brand vs brand?

I also located a different product Im looking forward to trying: a 'curry paste' in an 'envelope' from Malaysia branded Dollee.

has anyone tried these various envelopes? there seem to be quite a few and more than one brand:

http://indonesianfoodmart.com/catalog/doleechickencurrymalaysianstyle7ozhalal-p-951.html?osCsid=

I could not find the web-site for Dollee nor Mae Ploy

i always appreciate your help.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Mae Ploy pastes are pretty good, both in quality and value (most economical of the curry pastes out here). I enjoy the panang and the green. I use the Maesri prik king paste mainly because I've never seen it under another brand. It is tasty though.

It's possible, but I don't know for sure, that the Mae Ploy bag in tub pastes are processed more mildly compared to the canned pastes.

I've tried various Indian masala pastes in retort pouches, and they are not bad.

Thanks for your reply. Id like to learn more about your Indian pastes. I use Patak in jars and do 'Indian' in a similar fashion as the Thai Ive just recently tried.

No where near a good Indian restaurant, but its easy to have on hand.

thanks again.

They were just packs I got at the Fresh and Easy. I also use Pataks because I like their flavor profile. They were both about the same quality, but pataks are a better bargain.

I used to make my own, but when I moved in Dec, my masala dabba fell victim to a horrible spillage accident, and I haven't gotten around to buying new spices yet.

Thanks

So you think that Patak re your packets are the way to go?

those are easy for me to get.

There was an 'Indian" market fairly close that had Pakistani jars, and I cant really say if they were better or not but thats long gone.

I use Patak Hot curry, tandoori, vindaloo pastes for Indian dishes, and Mae Ploy for green, Penang, and red Thai/Malay curry dishes.

I will make my own pastes if I have the time and the required ingredients on hand, which is seldom these days...

Has anyone seen the paste for Butter Chicken under the brand NANA? I've only seen it at the Safeway store. Again, it makes a nice dish without a lot of fuss.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What are the major flavor differences between the pre-made curries and a fresh curry? Surely some ingredient flavors, say garlic and ginger, will degrade faster than others so it would make sense to add that back in when cooking fresh.

I've tried a few Thai green curries that came in plastic tubs including Mae Ploy but find that they have a strange woody or piney flavor. Is that from the galangal? Maybe I just don't like it.

I like the Mae Ploy red a lot.