• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Shocking" Dulce de Leche

Shel_B

Over the past yearI've been experimenting with making Dulce de Leche. Several recipes, and one or two folks here at eGullet, suggest "shocking" the mixture by immersing the pot with the hot caramel into cold water and stirring for a while. It's been said that this intensifies the flavor.

I've made DdeL using this technique, and without using the technique, and really haven't noticed much, if any, flavor difference. I wonder if it's really necessary, or if I may be doing something wrong. Any comments / suggestions on using this "shocking" technique? Thanks!

... Shel

I've never found any need to "shock" it. I get plenty of flavor - I think using part goat milk contributes to the flavor.

I know that I like the combination better than straight cow milk.

Some people stir in a little heavy cream as they think that makes it richer but I don't notice the difference.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've always looked at the shocking bath as a means of cooling and thickening the final product more quickly, but I've never noticed a difference in flavour as a result.... I use a mixture of whole cow's milk and nata (the cream from off the top of the cream) when I make it.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Some people stir in a little heavy cream as they think that makes it richer but I don't notice the difference.

At what point in the process do you add the cream?

... Shel

At what point in the process do you add the cream?

It is just combined with the milk at the beginning.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My mother used to make it when I was very young in the early 60's, and she always used goat's milk from the only household with goats in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if in combination with regular milk or all goat's milk. I agree with Andie... above, it contributes to the flavor as I remember it having a very deep flavor and oh so good. :smile:

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.