• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Offal Majesty" (Ithaca NY area)

PaulDWeiss

Hello all - for the 99.99% of you who do not live in the NY Finger Lakes region, this may be a bore. However, this posting is directed toward that handful who are "local," and the somewhat larger handful of eG people who don't live near here, but who have kitchen friends who do. I've just started a new Meetup.com group, named "Offal Majesty." I hope it to become a cooks' group specializing in producing dishes based on the so-called "variety meats," and in the cooperative production of charcuterie - muscle meat based, or offal based.

Sometimes our meetings will finish with a participants' dinner; other times we'll just split up what we've made and take the product home for curing, or for sharing with family and friends. To find out more, please check out the group's website on Meetup.com. If you think you might know potential members ("Cooks with guts"), please forward the group's URL to them. Tanx,

Paul

Host Note: Please click here for the terms under which this announcement has been posted.

I'm a small farmer in Lisle, NY, about an hour south of you. I'd be interested to come to some events but I'm pretty busy so I may not be able to be full fledged. Currently I'm curing a whole mess of pork, including 3 dry cured hams, guanciale, pancetta and goat prosciutto. We raise pigs and chickens primarily but do an odd animal from time to time and may start raising goats on a larger scale in the next year. I also, conveniently, have the facilities to slaughter animals, so if you or the group or anyone you know is interested in buying whole animals, either from me or someone else, I could help with the process. E-mail me if you're interested, my E-mail is on our blog.

Nick

Tbafarms.com

Sounds great, Nick. I don't imagine that this sort of group will be "regulars," primarily. I think people will show up or not based on whether they're interested in the particular recipes. I'd appreciate it if you'd sign up on the Offal Majesty site - a group of two is much more impressive than a group of 1 ;-)

Do you slaughter pigs year round?

Paul

Edited by PaulDWeiss (log)