• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under pressure?

Wilfrid

I assume it's gratifying to be rated year after year as one of the handful of top restaurants in New York. Whether one looks at Zagat or elsewhere, Le Bernardin is consistently in the top three or four for food.

But I wonder whether the extra pressure on the kitchen and service is sometimes burdensome. Does it create unreasonable expectations among customers, and do you feel that it's not enough to serve someone a good dinner, you have to "wow" them with one of the best meals they could possibly get in the city? Or do you have a completely different perspective on it?

To quote an English novelist, "Thanks for all the fish!" :laugh:

It's always very pleasant to see a good article, review or rating about Le Bernardin, myself or both, but it doesn't affect us much. We tend to ignore the exterior world in order to focus more on our real work in the kitchen and dining room. I read articles only once, and do not bring them home.

We give great attention to our customers, give the best food we can and are very consistent. By doing that, we attract a very upscale clientele, who are cultivated in food and restaurants and are well-travelled. These kind of people do not find it necessary to be "wowed"everytime they sit down to eat, because eating at Le Bernardin is part of their normal like. By being loyal to us, they show their appreciation.