• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sieves and Strainers

LindaK

Here's what I have, plus the not pictured an 8qt cranky action barrel sifter for flour (which, btw, I completely recommend getting if you bake even a little bit. You'll never go back to a basket sieve for flours after you've used a barrel)...

The barrel-shaped flour sifters I've used before have all had squeeze handles. I never found those to work very well--very slow output so that my hand would cramp by the time I'd gotten all the flour I needed. I've never seen a crank model. Aren't they awkward to use, since they must require both hands?

I've never had a problem using a barrel sifter before, provided it's a crank model. I reserve a special place of loathing for the spring-loaded kind! Those things are worse than useless. :hmmm:

The crank-type barrels are very easy to use and very fast when you're dealing with large volumes of flour (like I do) - you measure your flour before sifting, then with one hand holding the sifter by its handle, you dump the entire measurement into the hopper, set down the measuring cup/bowl, and crank away overtop of your mixing bowl. I usually measure flour for bread and cakes by weight, which means that sifting it won't affect the final proportions. I also love the cranky barrel for mixing various types of flours together, since I get a much more uniform mix than I would just stirring with a fork (although I usually do that before transferring to the barrel anyhow.)

I'll get a picture of mine next time I've got it down for use (ie tomorrow) - the 8qt capacity is a lifesaver.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I've got some serious sieve envy! Looks like I'll be buying more than another set of nested sieves...

A few of you have mentioned reinforced mesh. How do you identify that on a product? I don't think I've ever seen one labeled as such--or is that the standard in a restaurant suppply store? For longevity, it sounds like it's worth seeking out.

I'm surprised (but not displeased) that no one seems to be recommending the tamis/drum sieves that I've seen mentioned elsewhere, such as Tamis/Drum Sieve for purees and sauces. They're pricey and don't look like they'd be useful for everyday cooking--though I could be wrong. Then there's Modernist Cuisine, which recommends laboratory sieves. Not cheap.

My reinforced sieves have a fine mesh covered by a stouter coarse mesh. My favorite has a long metal tang with a wood insert and a D ring on the opposite side so it will rest across a sink. I see them in restaurant supply stores.

Here's one http://www.efoodserviceshopping.com/IACart/catalog/productInfo.php?dIerots=C23158487E5943452F0B4140515B186B707E&&productId=3144

Edited by gfweb (log)