• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Endless Vines

Double 0

Does anyone have any info about this wine bar and shop, it's next to Market Basket. I checked out its website but its kind of vague. Also does anyone have recommendations for wine shops with a large selection of champagne and other sparkling wines. Btw I would prefer Bergen or Passiac Cos. Thanks in advance. ST

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I recommend Carlo Russo' s World of Wines in Fort Lee. I'm not sure about the extent of their Champagne collection, but there are good prices at Bertelli's in Clifton. If you want to take a ride, I think that Wine Library in Millburn/Springfield has the best balance of a good collection and good prices.

Wine Library has an interesting e-mail system, announcing prices a few days before they take place.

Their ad says they had 4 of the top 5 Wine Spectator wines on sale this year, and listed the dates and (much lower than now) prices...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Ill go to the wine library when they have sales to check out what they have, otherwise their prices seem high to me. Same goes for Gary's, very friendly and helpful staff, great bread from sullivans, great store set-up, interesting wine and gourmet items to browse but their pricing isnt all that great. A few years ago I bought the Roederer L'Ermitage Brut from Gary's and while shopping at the local liquor store in stirling found the same bottle for almost 10 dollars less at Stirling World Of Liquors (note this isnt the liquor store next to dunkin donuts but is across the street from the shop rite and right next to the Thai Thai Cuisine restaurant, which by the way serves some decent thai). The Stirling store has a nice selection and a new small wine room and have some great deals but probably not worth the ride from bergen county.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

If you are willing to go there, Super Cellars in Paterson, on route 20, seems to have the best prices around. It is rare for Wine Library to have lower prices, although WL will sometimes match Super Cellars prices when an item is on sale.

There are few case discounts at Super Cellars, but that's ok with me, as the per-bottle prices are lower than most other places case discount prices. In fact, a friend and I turned a French sommelier at a high-end NYC restaurant on to Super Cellars, and he drives out to NJ to shop there.

They have a website at www.supercellars.com, and send out emails prior to the NYT ads they put out some Wednesdays.

That said, they don't have a huge champagne selection, but it's still worth a trip, IMO.