• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wolfgang Puck

For chef Otsuka:

What was it like to have been the chef for Wolfgang Puck?

Was it an experience that trained or affected you in any special way?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For chef Otsuka:

What was it like to have been the chef for Wolfgang Puck?

Was it an experience that trained or affected you in any special way?

Just guessing, Jason, is it possible you've confused Puck with Splichal? They both do like mashed potatoes.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

:wacko: I had the opportunity to work with Joachim Splichal for a period of about 8 years over the course of 13. I worked with him in 5 of his restaurants and was greatly influenced by his sense of business and focus on flavor and presentation. He is a stellar chef in our craft and exemplifies an extreme success story to be admired.

In the case of Wolf, I worked with him for a very brief period at Spago West Hollywood prior to the Beverly Hills opening. I found it a bit disorrienting to work in his medium due to the vast differences that the two schools followed. It was however a wonderful chance to see how he operates and experience first hand the controlled chaos of the empire he stands atop.

It is quite curious that both Joachim and Wolf made it in this country cooking French stylized food.

The whole clock thing started at Pinot Bistro in Studio City, CA. They installed one in the Private dining room and it became a sort of theme for the Pinot chain. I do not believe that the clock obsesion continued in the Nick and Steph Ventures or the Zucca place.