• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leg of Lamb to order...

Big Onion

I noticed that none of the restaurants in the area have leg of lamb on the menu. They have rack of lamb, lamb chops, and shanks, but no leg. Flavoring the lamb is not my problem, and I have had wonderful success roasting the whole leg but is there a method to cooking and cutting an 8oz piece (I understand cutting meat against the grain, hard to do with leg of lamb) so that it's not chewy? Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

It's a boneless leg of lamb. I cut into 8oz steaks, but my customers complained about still finding chewy pieces. I marinate, grill, finish in oven then let rest, slice, and serve with a creamy herb risotto.

What about that classic 'seven hour leg of lamb' (altho' personally, I think the shoulder is superior for that kind of thing--cheaper, too). You sit your lamb with some aromatics and white wine in a covered pot and let it slowly tick away in the oven for, you guessted it, seven hours. Comes out tender enough to eat without a knife--which may not provide the textural contrast with the risotto you probably want, I guess.

If you're roasting or grilling, tho', some parts of the leg are always going to have a certain amount of chewiness--like with rump steak, a certain amount of chewiness is unavoidable. It's a fairly lean cut.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between