• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

On 3/7/2017 at 6:35 AM, lindag said:

I often think that the key to Subway is who's making the sandwich.

The one nearest me is operated during the day by the manager, a woman of about 50 or so.

She's clean, the shop is clean and the ingredients look fresh.

On the other hand, the shop in the next town is run by a group of teenagers who couldn't care less about the food or the job as a whole, they're busy grab-assing; I won't go there.

Bumping this forward because it is so true.    We often stop at a Subway on our way home from the country.    We patronize two particular shops in the town of Lodi, CA.     Both immaculate FOH and prep areas.    Staff seems to vary considerably but each server has been conscientious and their products while not totally consistent, totally acceptable and delicious.    What you get is basically what you ask for.    At under $5 for an overstuffed 6" sub on decent house baked roll, they'e a steal and certainly a full meal.    

DH orders a spicy Italian on and Italian roll ->  3 kinds of italian deli meats, 2 slices provolone, lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, mayo, "sweet onion dressing".    Sandwich is grilled if you wish after the cheese iis added and before veggies.    Today I had a baked ham with pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, srirachi mayo, dill pickles and jalapenos = $3.99, as the 6" sub of the day.    That's pretty hard to beat.

eta the veg garnishes are pristine fresh at both of these shops.    As in all businesses, product and service are determined at and percolate down from the top.  

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

The one nearest me is operated during the day by the manager, a woman of about 50 or so.

On the other hand, the shop in the next town is run by a group of teenagers who couldn't care less about the food or the job as a whole, they're busy grab-assing; I won't go there.

Bumping this forward because it is so true.    We often stop at a Subway on our way home from the country.    We patronize two particular shops in the town of Lodi, CA.     Both immaculate FOH and prep areas.    Staff seems to vary considerably but each server has been conscientious and their products while not totally consistent, totally acceptable and delicious.    What you get is basically what you ask for.    At under $5 for an overstuffed 6" sub on decent house baked roll, they'e a steal and certainly a full meal.    

DH orders a spicy Italian on and Italian roll ->  3 kinds of italian deli meats, 2 slices provolone, lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, mayo, "sweet onion dression".    Sandwich is grilled if you wish after the cheese iis added and before veggies.    Today I had a baked ham with pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, srirachi mayo, dill pickles and jalapenos = $3.99, as the 6" sub of the day.    That's pretty hard to beat.

eta the veg garnishes are pristine fresh at both of these shops.    As in all businesses, product and service are determined at and percolate down from the top.  

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

DH orders a spicy Italian on and Italian roll ->  3 kinds of italian deli meats, 2 slices provolone, lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, mayo, "sweet onion dression".    Sandwich is grilled if you wish after the cheese iis added and before veggies.    Today I had a baked ham with pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, srirachi mayo, dill pickles and jalapenos = $3.99, as the 6" sub of the day.    That's pretty hard to beat.